Incorrect timestamp

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v1

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6.5

Description of the issue

I just upgraded from 10.6.4 and noticed that my timestamp is 8 hrs ahead of time.  The system time is correct.

I see this same issue popped up a year ago.  Does anyone know if there was a fix for that?

Thanks for any advice!

• 1. Re: Incorrect timestamp
          TSGal

Gwendolyn Stritter:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

A Timestamp field should record the current date and time.  Are you accessing the file locally?  Or, are you accessing a hosted file on a remote server?  Are you running a script?  If you create a Time field with Auto-enter options for Modification Time, do you get the system time when you modify a record?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Incorrect timestamp
            DrDreds

I just upgraded to 10.6.7 and I am still having the same problem.  I am accessing the file locally. I am not running a script.  Auto-enter Modification Time returns the incorrect time.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Incorrect timestamp
              ilmguy

I am experiencing a similar problem. I have FMPA 12.0v5 running on Mac OS 10.9.2. When specifying Timestamp for both creating and modifying a record, the date is correct but the time is 8 hours off (earlier).

My setup is simply FMP on a stand-alone iMac - no network involved. The clock on the Mac is correct.

Any suggestions?

• 4. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                TSGal

ilmguy:

Thank you for your post.

In System Preferences, first click "Language & Region".  What Language and Region are specified?

Next, click "Date & Time".  What time zone is selected?

Do you have "Set date and time automatically" checked?  If so, what is selected from the pull-down to the right of that?

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                  ilmguy

TSGal:

Thanks for the quick response.

Language and Region is set to English and the USA.

Time zone is Eastern Daylight Time

"Set date and time automatically" is not checked

• 6. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                    TSGal

ilmguy:

Thank you for the information.

Even with your settings, I cannot replicate the issue under Mac OS X 10.9.2 and FileMaker Pro 12.0v5.

For testing purposes, create a Text field, put the Text field on the layout, go to Browse mode, put your cursor in the Text field and Insert Time.  Is this correct?  If so, create a temporary Timestamp field, put this on the layout, go to Browse, and Insert Time into the field.  Does this work?

Any other information you can provide about your system may be helpful.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                      ilmguy

I followed your suggestions but the time is eight hours off in both text and timestamp fields. Do you think I am in a time warp?

• 8. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                        TSGal

limguy:

For the time to be eight hours earlier from Eastern time, that would put the location in Hawaii.

In the menubar, is the correct time showing?

Perhaps FileMaker Pro is having difficulty reading the system preferences.  Try changing to a different time zone, save it, and then save back to the original time zone.  Does this work?

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                          TSGal

limguy:

In the event your database file is damaged, try creating a new database file, add one Timestamp field and set it for Auto-enter on Creation.  Add a record and view the date and time.  Let me know the results.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                            ilmguy

This keeps on getting better!!

I've tried your suggestions but still get the incorrect time. However, it is now 4 hours LATER instead of 8 hours EARLIER. In addition to your suggestions, I also zapped the PRAM and verified permissions using Disk Utility.

• 11. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                              TSGal

limguy:

If the original file is showing 8 hours earlier and a new file is showing 4 hours later, then something else is occurring.  First, let's try removing the Preferences file.  You'll find this in the following folder:

[User Account] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.*.plist

By removing this file, the next time FileMaker Pro launches, it will create a new file.

If this still fails, create a new user account, login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro, create a new file with a TimeStamp field set for Auto-Enter Creation Date.  If this works, then you have some issues with your original user account.  If this fails, then I'd uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro 11.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                                ilmguy

I deleted  ALL of the filemaker plists but still have the same problem.

Logged out of my account and logged back in as a guest - same problem.

I copied my FMPA to a CD and installed it on my MacBook Pro and the problem did not transfer so it appears to be Mac-related.

• 13. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                                  TSGal

ilmguy:

I see you are on Mac OS X 10.6.5. Is there a reason why you haven't updated to Mac OS X 10.6.8?  This may update any issues with the Date & Time.

Check your Date & Time settings on your MacBook Pro and compare it to your original machine.

Let me know if you ever discover what is causing the issue.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Incorrect timestamp
                                    ilmguy

I am running OS X 10.9.2. What you are referring to is someone else's post who had a similar problem - I just added my experience to his.

I'll compare the Date & Time settings on the MacBook with the iMac but I don't know of anything else to try. Wish I knew when this problem began because it used to work fine. My  iMac is about 7 years old and was stolen In NC a couple of years ago and was missing in action until I found it and - with the help of a police detective in another state was able to recover it. Of course, I had to reinstall my software, including FMP. Could be something got scrambled at that time.

Thanks for helping!

Les