3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 12:32 PM by philmodjunk

Insert Audio/Video as File Reference Script Step fails to auto-check the Store as File Reference box

dhafitch

Summary

Insert Audio/Video as File Reference Script Step fails to auto-check the Store as File Reference box

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.8.3

Description of the issue

When invoking the Insert Audio/Video script step with "Store only a reference" checked, the dialog for selecting the file fails to automatically check the "Store only a reference to the file" box.
      This makes it very inefficient to run such scripts, because you have to select "store as a reference" for every video to input, even though you have already designated "store as a reference" in the script.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make a script containing the Insert Audio/Video step; check "Store only a reference". Do not specify a file.
      Run the script.
      When the dialog appears for you to select the file containing the video, the "Store only a reference to the file" box is not checked.

Expected result

The "Store only a reference to the file" box should be automatically checked in the Finder dialog, so that you only have to select the file and press the return key (i.e., "Insert").

Actual result

The "Store only a reference to the file" box is UNchecked. So you have to check it, and then select your file and push Insert.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

na/

Workaround

None (you have to manually select the "Store only a reference to the file" check box every time you want to insert a file reference only, even though you have already designated that you want to do this in the script step.  This is too redundant.

• 1. Re: Insert Audio/Video as File Reference Script Step fails to auto-check the Store as File Reference box
          Fred(CH)

Hi David,

Thank you for posting, you are correct ! It is easy to replicate this issue and i cannot see a simple workaround indeed. Too bad...

I also would like to add a little of matter, because my opinion is before v12, there was many options to insert files, but now, with 12 and his interactive options, and with his new Insert File script step, there are in my opinion so much different behaviors so that become confusing :

• Insert Audio Video (1) -- As a Reference option fails
               • Insert Image -- As a Reference option works
               • Insert QuickTime (2) -- As a Reference option is not available because it is always a reference.
               • Insert File* -- As a Reference option is not a proposal but only to force end-user. A default value cannot be defined.
               • Insert PDF (1) -- As a Reference option works
               • Insert Sound (2) -- Script step desappeared, even the menu item is still here. But OK : this change is correctly documented by FMI.

* New dialog with great advanced options. And it is the only of theses steps that allows directly to activate a Field. Why ?
               (1) Requires to activate an interactive defined object
               (2) Requires to activate a static defined object

I know that complexity is not a bug, but sorry… it is too much for me ! crying

Bye, Fred

• 2. Re: Insert Audio/Video as File Reference Script Step fails to auto-check the Store as File Reference box

David Fitch:

Thank you for post.

I can confirm this behavior occurs in FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 on both Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Windows 7. A full report was forwarded to Testing and Development for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Insert Audio/Video as File Reference Script Step fails to auto-check the Store as File Reference box
              philmodjunk

And a report has been added to the Known Bugs List. Please post questions/comments about that report here or in a new thread--not in the Known Bugs List thread.