Summary

Insert From Device Fails

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 7.1

Description of the issue

When using Insert From Device to scan a QR Code the script hangs with the camera open if the camera was already pointing at the QR Code before the script was launched. A beep can be heard as if the Scan happened but the script does not advance to the next step on the device.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Insert from Device [Field; Type: BarCode; Camera: Back; Resolution; Full]

Expected result

The QRCode is read and the screen moves back to the layout.

Actual result

You will hear a beep then see the back camera then nothing.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

Working with an iPad 2 model MC955LL/A

Workaround

Don't point the camera at a QRCode until the Camera comes up.

• 1. Re: Insert From Device Fails
          TSGal

Clay Smith:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue only with QR Codes.  The beep would sound but no scan would occur.  On some occasions, continuing to hold the camera on the QR Code would eventually crash FileMaker Go.

This issue did not occur with Bar codes.  Although the scan would not occur when positioned over the bar code prior to the script, if I moved the camera out of position and back to the bar code, it would then scan.

I have sent your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Insert From Device Fails
            philmodjunk

Has anyone checked this with an iPhone? Mine is doing a decent job of scanning bar codes, but I haven't tried it on a QR code recently.

• 3. Re: Insert From Device Fails
              philmodjunk

I just tested this against a QR code with an iPhone 4s. It took several tries before it failed to scan--hard to tell if the device was properly aimed at the QR code and it didn't crash back to the main screen until I tapped cancel.

• 4. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                philmodjunk
                An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.
                • 5. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                  dhuebsch

Also, having an issue with QR codes ... I call the script step into a container field and then set a variable to extract the actual result from the field and it does not work.  Below are my steps ...

#
                  Insert from Device [ z_RESOURCES::zg_ScanField; Type: Bar Code; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full; Types: Code 39, Code 93, Code 128, EAN-8, EAN-13, EAN/UPC Composite, GS1 2-Digit Add-On, GS1 5-Digit Add-On, GS1 DataBar Expanded, GS1 DataBar (RSS), ITF-14, ISBN-10 (from EAN-13), ISBN-13 (from EAN-13), QR Code, UPC-A, UPC-E ]
                  #
                  Set Variable [ $scanResult ; Value:GetAsText(z_RESOURCES::zg_ScanField) ]
                  #

z_Resources::zg_ScanField -> Global Container Field

$scanResult is empty ...

Any help would be appreciated

• 6. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                    TSGal

David Huebsch:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the steps I took:

1. I created a table (TEST) with a Container field (named QRCode) set for Global Storage.

2. I created a script (TestScript) with the following steps:
                            Go to Layout [ "TEST" (TEST) ]
                            Insert from Device [ Picture Taker::QRCode ; Type: Bar Code ; Camera: Back ; Resolution: Full ]
                            Set Variable [ $scanResult ; Value: GetAsText ( TEST::QRCode ) ]
                            Show Custom Dialog [ "Testing variable" ; $scanResult ]

3. I set the file for Network Sharing, launch FileMaker Go 13.0v4, and access the hosted file.

4. I execute the script, scan a QR Code, the image appears in the global Container QRCode, and I get a dialog on the screen:

Testing variable
                            http://<some web site>
                            Cancel   OK

-----

Once your script executes, how do you know the variable is empty?  What steps are you taking after the Set Variable step?

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                      dhuebsch

I am using the show custom dialog step as well to show my result.  JIC, my entire script is below ...  For instance have a button on my layout RECEIVING(RECEIVING) which calls ...

Perform Script [Scan_Barcode; Parameter: "Field¶" & GetFieldName(RECEIVING::receiving_TrackingNumber)]

This should input the barcode data into my tracking number field.  This does not.  I do get the image in the container field zq_ScanField, however the variable is blank

Scan_Barcode
                           #
                           #
                           # Setup
                           Set Field [ z_RESOURCES::zg_ScanField ; "" ]
                           Set Variable [ $destination ; Value:GetValue( Get ( ScriptParameter ); 1 ) ]
                           #
                           #
                           # If run on iPad Go v13+, Call "Insert Device" to scan a barcode
                           If [ PatternCount ( Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; "Go_iPad" ) = 1
                           or
                           PatternCount ( Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; "Go" ) = 1 ]
                           Insert from Device [ z_RESOURCES::zg_ScanField; Type: Bar Code; Camera: Back; Resolution: Full; Types: Code 39, Code 93,
                           Code 128, EAN-8, EAN-13, EAN/UPC Composite, GS1 2-Digit Add-On, GS1 5-Digit Add-On, GS1 DataBar Expanded, GS1
                           DataBar (RSS), ITF-14, ISBN-10 (from EAN-13), ISBN-13 (from EAN-13), QR Code, UPC-A, UPC-E ]
                           #
                           Else
                           # If not an iPad, Open Dialog to ask for Barcode
                           Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Enter Barcode ..."; Message: "Please enter the Barcode below"; Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “Yes” ;
                           Input #1: z_RESOURCES::zg_ScanField , "Barcode" ]
                           End If
                           #
                           #
                           Set Variable [ $scanResult ; Value:GetAsText(z_RESOURCES::zg_ScanField) ]
                           // Set Field [ z_RESOURCES::zg_ScanField ; "" ]
                           #
                           #
                           If [ $destination = "Script" ]
                           // Set Variable [ $scriptName ; Value:GetValue( Get ( ScriptParameter ); 2 ) ]
                           Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Result"; Message: $scanResult; Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “No” ]
                           Perform Script [ “Call_Script” ; Parameter: GetValue( Get ( ScriptParameter ); 2 ) & "¶" & $scanResult ]
                           #
                           Else If [ $destination = "Field" ]
                           // Set Variable [ $fieldName ; Value:GetValue( Get ( ScriptParameter ); 2 ) ]
                           Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Result"; Message: $scanResult; Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “No” ]
                           Set Field By Name [ GetValue( Get ( ScriptParameter ); 2 ); $scanResult ]
                           #
                           End If
                           #
                           #
                      • 8. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                        TSGal

David Huebsch:

If you create another script with just the basics (Insert from Device, Set Variable, and Show Custom Dialog), does it then work?

If you create a new file with the same similar fields and script steps, does it then work?

Is the file being accessed locally (on the iPad) or remotely (FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro)?  What versions?

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                          philmodjunk

I'd make the test even more basic by not using a custom dialog's input field as a way to rule out the use of Show Custom Dialog as a possible issue here.

• 10. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                            dhuebsch

TSGal,

I made a simple script and now I am getting an error "Specified field has inappropriate field type".  I tried a newly created container field and a text field, same error on both.  I even tried just the insert Device step alone in the script and I still get the issue.  I was able to see it work only by having the button directly call "Insert from Device" without selecting a field.

I am hosting the file off of Windows 2012 R2, FM Server v13.0.2.295, client is iPad 2 with FM Go v13.0.4 ...

Thanks

• 11. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                              TSGal

David Huebsch:

If you create a new Container field and the Insert from Device script step is failing, perhaps the naming of the Container field has an issue.  What is the name of the Container field?

If you still can't access the field, try rebooting FileMaker Go and try again.  If that still fails, reboot the iOS device and try again.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                                dhuebsch

TSGal,

I tried all of your suggestions, even tried another iPad, but still fails, unless the target field is visible on the layout and on that layouts table.  If I move it to a related table, it will only work if the relationship is direct to the layout table.  I would like to be able to use this to capture data to not only on one hand set a field but also send as a parameter to a script.  You can see from my original script a few posts up, the problem was that z_RESOURCES::zg_ScanField was a global field and not directly related to the table I was on, which was RECEIVING.  You should be able to scan into any Global field, since you can read and write to those fields with normal input methods, also maybe this wouldn't be a issue if you could specify the target field by calculation.

Any other suggestions I would be willing to try, Will be looking at a work around in the mean time.

• 13. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                                  philmodjunk

All script steps that start with insert only work if the specified target field is present on the current layout and accessible in Browse mode.

But there's no reason why you can't a) use a global field or b) refer to the contents of a field in a script parameter in order to get the inserted text to the script where you need it.

• 14. Re: Insert From Device Fails
                                    bigtom

Is there any news on a fix for the QR code scanning?

User still need to install CNS Barcode with Go13 to scan QRs without trouble. The problem was known in 13.03 and we made it to 13.04 without a fix? I am not sure how other app developers can get this to work but FileMaker cannot.

1 2 Previous Next