1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 8:41 AM by danshockley

Insert From URL Script Step and Url Encoding  replaced by filemaker incorrectly

GiancarloMeak

Summary

Insert From URL Script Step and Url Encoding  replaced by filemaker incorrectly

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

mac os x

Description of the issue

This is part of the url request correctly formatted (if I paste it in a browser or I use scriptmaster, it works)
      (1)  %09%2B393397186745%09Gentile%20Comandante%20Carlo%20Maaak%2c%0a%0asiamo%20felici….

this is how the Insert From URL Script Step submit it
      (2)  %09+393397186745%09Gentile%20Comandante%20Carlo%20Maaak,%0A%0Asiamo%20felici….

You may notice, for example,  that
      %2B that is a "+" correctly URL encoded in the url (1) is "+" in url (2)
      %2c that is that is a "," correctly URL encoded in the url (1) is "," in url (2)

Steps to reproduce the problem

there is no way since it's the last step handled by filemaker

• 1. Re: Insert From URL Script Step and Url Encoding  replaced by filemaker incorrectly
          danshockley

I can verify this in a simpler situation. I'll also provide a summary of what seems to be happening: 

The script step 'Insert from URL' seems to DE-code certain characters while it EN-codes others in the specified URL. This is a serious problem. 

Here's a simple example: 

Set Variable [ $url; Value: "http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_form_action.asp?user=%3Dbob" ]
               Insert from URL [Select; No Dialog; SomeTable::LinkResult; $url ]

What you would expect is that you get the HTML code result from the w3schools.com site that shows that you submitted: user=%3Dbob
               That is the result you get when you submit via a web browser or a tool like curl. 
               However, what the script step 'Insert from URL' returns is that you submitted: user==bob
               That is NOT correct. 
               This can lead to problems with web services that don't handle double equal signs, for example.