Insert PDF script step crashes filemaker

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v1

Operating system version

Mavericks

Description of the issue

I have a popover containing an interactive container field. The field is in a related table (1:1 relationship).

I use a button which runs a script to insert a PDF (with go-to-object and insert PDF steps, no file path specified, so it brings up a system dialogue box to choose the file).

Sometime this works fine, but  a little less than half the time Filemaker crashes (or rather, "quits unexpectedly").

This is the same on a number of different fields in several different databases--one on my desktop (created in 13) and two hosted on an FMS13 mac mini server (one created in 13, on created in 12).

I've been submitting the crash reports to apple.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a popover with an interactive container field, and use a script to insert a PDF.

Expected result

field is populated with the chosen PDF, and displays it interactively.

Actual result

Sometimes filemaker quits unexpectedly.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Apple crash report begins:

Process:         FileMaker Pro [4031]
      Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
      Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.advanced12
      Version:         13.0.1 (13.0.1)
      Code Type:       X86 (Native)
      Parent Process:  launchd [141]
      Responsible:     FileMaker Pro [4031]
      User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2014-02-26 12:42:21.154 +0000
      OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)
      Report Version:  11
      Anonymous UUID:  D661FD29-9F5B-2E94-A468-9AF3758D0512

Sleep/Wake UUID: 3C421836-92B2-427C-9351-332107169428

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
      Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000021e17000

VM Regions Near 0x21e17000:
          IOKit                  0000000021d57000-0000000021e17000 [  768K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM 
      -->
          mapped file            0000000021e57000-0000000021e5f000 [   32K] r--/r-x SM=ALI  /private/var/db/*

Application Specific Information:
      Java information:
      Exception type: Bus Error (0xa) at pc=0000000093604390

Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (20.65-b04-462 mixed mode macosx-x86)

Current thread (00000000831de800):  JavaThread "Thread-1" daemon [_thread_in_native, id=-1587113560, stack(00000000bf704000,00000000bff04000)]
      Stack: [00000000bf704000,00000000bff04000]

Configuration information

I'm using a Mac Book Air (2013).

Workaround

Restart and try again. It will most probably work.

bug.png

• 1. Re: Insert PDF script step crashes filemaker
          TSGal

Jonj:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the crash.  This is what I have done:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 under Mac OS X 10.9.1, I created a database file with two tables (Customers, Invoices), both linked by an ID field.

2. In the Customers layout, I created a portal into Invoices with the option to add records into the portal.

3. I entered 10 records into Customers table, and a total of 24 records in the Invoices table (a customer will have at least one related Invoice record).

4. Still in the Customers layout, I created a Popover that includes an interactive Container field from the Invoices table, and I named it "Contain".

5. I created a script, TEST, with the following two commands:

Go to Object [ Object Name: "Contain" ]
               Insert PDF []

6. In the Popover, I created a button that executes the script "TEST".

7. Back in Browse mode, I accessed each record, opened the Popover, clicked the button, and successfully inserted a PDF file.

-----

When I double-click the PDF file from the Finder, the file opens under the Preview application.

Have you tried this under a new file?  If so, do you get the same results?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in replicating the crash.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Insert PDF script step crashes filemaker
            JonJ

Hi,

That looks like exactly the circumstances that can produce the crash. It usually happens just after I've selected the file, as the application is processing it to display. Often, once I reopen filemaker, it turns out that the file was inserted successfully, and it is displayed as normal in the interactive container.

The PDFs are small files, usually just a variety of test files from different sources. All open normally in Preview. The same file can be inserted several times without a problem, but cause a crash on the Nth attempt. 

This happens with new files—two of the files were recently created from scratch.

The error KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS makes me think... I wonder if this is a RAM or SSD problem with my particular computer. I'll run a quick system check and see...

Regards,

J.

• 3. Re: Insert PDF script step crashes filemaker
              TSGal

Jonj:

There has been an issue reported with Adobe and Mavericks.  Look to see if you have the Internet Plug-ins "AdovePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin" or "AdovePDFViewer.plugin" installed.  These are in the folder:

Hard Disk -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins

If so, remove them, reboot, and try again.

Even if Preview is set as the default PDF application, with those plug-ins, Adobe would still load the interactive Container content.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Insert PDF script step crashes filemaker
                JonJ

Hi,

I removed the plug-ins (I had both).

I think I installed the adobe PDF plug-in because the native Safari plug-in used to be very lame (there were all kinds of scrolling and font rendering issues)—but it looks like they's improved it an awful lot, so I happy to say goodbye to the adobe items. 

I can't guarantee 100%, but it's been a few days and I've not had a crash, so that seems to have cured it.

Many thanks!

J.