1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 11:35 AM by TSGal

insert picture script step does not work for alias the way insert picture works from menu

RowlandCarson

Summary

insert picture script step does not work for alias the way insert picture works from menu

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP Advanced 10.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.4.11

Description of the issue

Mac PowerBook G4, 1GHz, 1GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.11, FMP Advanced 10.0v3.

I have a FMP file with (inter alia) a text field containing a filename and container field to contain a picture.

I can manually select the picture field, choose "Picture ..." from the "Insert" menu and then navigate to a folder containing aliases of selected files from a folder holding many more JPGs. Choosing an alias appropriate to the filename in the selected record gives the result that the picture appears in the container field.

However, when I try to script this operation to fill all the picture fields in the database file, I get a message "This file type could not be displayed as a picture. It will be inserted and displayed as a file." The container file shows a file icon and name after the script runs.

The script works as expected if the target file is an orginal rather than an alias.

I can't see any options I am missing in order to make the script operation behave like the manual one. Is it me or is this a bug/feature?

regards

Rowland

• 1. Re: insert picture script step does not work for alias the way insert picture works from menu
          TSGal

RowlandCarson:

Thank you for your post.

When you manually select an alias under Insert -> Picture, FileMaker recognizes it is an alias and uses the alias to grab the original file.

However, when you run a script with "Insert Picture", you are specifying a file in a specific location.  FileMaker will then take that file and attempt to place it into the Container field.  You need to specify the exact file when using the "Insert Picture" script step.

I encourage you to enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web form entries are reviewed by Development and Product Management and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.