Inserting a track from audio CD as 'file' produces unknown error: 20411

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker 12v2

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

Importing a track from a CD for archival purposes as 'file' does not work anymore.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a new database with one container field.
      Select 'File...' from the 'Insert' menu.
      Select audio track from CD.

Expected result

Audio track is inserted as a file and given the generic AIFF icon.

Actual result

Error dialog appears.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Unknown Error: 20411.

Workaround

Copy CD track to hard drive and select the newly copied AIFF track as the file to be inserted or go back to eight-track tape, platform shoes and Disco music.

OH_NOOO.png

• 1. Re: Inserting a track from audio CD as 'file' produces unknown error: 20411
          codecruncher

I have just confirmed the issue with a virgin installation of OS X Mountain Lion. Dragging an AIFF file from a CD directory onto the container field inside FileMaker 12 produces the same error. Interestingly enough it works on VOB files and mp3 files. However, FileMaker 12 is not able to recognize standard AIFF files.

• 2. Re: Inserting a track from audio CD as 'file' produces unknown error: 20411
            codecruncher

The same error dialog also appears when the user selects 'Audio/Video' from the insert menu. FileMaker 12 is essentially unable to insert standard AIFF files from commercially released CDs.

It goes without saying that combining 'Audio/Video' into one menu item and then requiring the user to specify 'audio' manually in the file browser before being able to select audio files is very inconvenient. The selection is set to video by default and all audio files are grayed out. Either create two menu item (select video and select audio) or accept all audio/video files types (vob/AIFF/mp3). At the very least give us an option in 'preferences' to either make audio the default file selection or video the default file selection when executing the insert 'Audio/Video' command. Even more importantly please provide a script step that enables us to add audio files and PLAY audio or add video files and PLAY video files.

• 3. Re: Inserting a track from audio CD as 'file' produces unknown error: 20411

CodeCruncher:

Thank you for the post.

I created a new database file with only a container field. I used iTunes to convert a song to the .AIFF format and used Finder to burn that file to a CD.

In FileMaker Pro 12v2, I tested both dragging the file directly from the CD into the container field and using the File>Import Records>File and neither one returned an error. I tested on both 10.7.4 and 10.8.1.

Am I possibly missing a step to reproduce the issue?

TSFalcon
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Inserting a track from audio CD as 'file' produces unknown error: 20411
                codecruncher

TSFalcon: I suspect this error has to do with the directory structure of a commercial audio CD. You will get the error message whenever you try to insert an unaltered AIFF file directly from a commercially released Red Book audio CD. Every commercially released audio CD is in Red Book format to ensure it will play in any CD player regardless of age. Burning an AIFF file to a CD-R via the finder will not produce a Red Book audio CD. It is the same AIFF file but the CD has a different directory structure. FileMaker 11 can import AIFF files directly from Red Book audio CDs while FileMaker 12 cannot.

• 5. Re: Inserting a track from audio CD as 'file' produces unknown error: 20411
                  codecruncher

This issue has been fixed in 12v3. What a great update! Thank you!!!