Inspector - Object position incorrect

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v4

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.8 AND 10.9

Description of the issue

All text object are positioned as 390 pt from Top, object height 14pt., same Txt/Font Attributes for all objects

Steps to reproduce the problem

place some txt fields with same attributes at same position from Top

Actual result

Text-Objects are not on same vertical position

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

-

Configuration information

Classic Theme

Workaround

none

dissimilary_Object_Positions.png

• 1. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect

Benjamin Fehr:

Thank you for the post.

Using the Arial font and the settings in the screenshot attached below, I am not able to reproduce.

Could you provide screenshots of the "Paragraph" (Absatz) and "Alignment" (Ausrichtung) section in the Inspector for all those text objects?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
            Benjamin Fehr

TSFalcon:

I carefully checked that "Paragraph" and "Alignment" are same for every object: Left / Top, Line height= 14pt..

Arial 9pt., Style= compressed

Though what you're asking is already shown in my screenshot.

thanks

PS: It would save a lot of time when FMI would allow pdf uploads in this forum!

• 3. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect

Benjamin Fehr:

Thank you for the reply. 

If you are willing, I would like to take a look at your file or an equivalent sample. Check your inbox at the top of this page for instructions on how to submit your file. A cloned copy with everything deleted but the layout and those text objects should be sufficient.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
                Benjamin Fehr

TSFalcon:

I'm sorry I don't have the time and resources to create a sample out of my 200MB solution. I already spent a half a hour to do bug reporting.

Maybe you just can report this to Dev. Dept.

There are a lot of font issues known, 'specially on Windows. Though chances are great that somebody already stepped into this one too.

best regards

Benjamin

• 5. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect

Benjamin Fehr:

Thank you for the reply.

From my research, no previous report matches this one and I am unable to reproduce the issue. Without a sample file or steps for a reproducible case, I have nothing to report.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
                    CamelCase

Without having tested, a wild guess would be that this could be yet another instance of the fact that FileMaker doesn't correctly handle the Swiss/German number format/decimal separators.

TSFalcon - maybe you can try changing your regional settings and see if you can't reproduce the issue.

• 7. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
                      CamelCase

Benjamin - how come you have the line height set to 14?

• 8. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
                        Benjamin Fehr

@David Wikström:

Use 'pt.' instead of 'lines' to specify line height to avoid running into another FM bug with Windows OS:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/b1c899934a

• 9. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
                          codecruncher

I have seen this issue after using the inspector to copy a specific text style. Some Objects become slightly misaligned afterwards. Sometimes is can be fixed by increasing the length of the text objects. Other times its unchangeable. Either way I only experienced it with a converted solution and creating a new text object without copying existing styles is a workaround.

• 10. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect

@All: 

Thank you for the replies.

Is anyone able provide a sample file with misaligned objects where the Inspector shows identical values for "Top," "Alignment," and "Size" settings?

@David Wikström:

I adjusted my regional settings and am still unable to reproduce. 

@CodeCruncher: 

When these objects "become slightly misaligned" does the Inspector information for those objects' settings still match or does the objects' "Position" in points or "Size" adjust as well?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
                              codecruncher

Yes - the objects show the same position in the inspector and using the alignment buttons has no effect.  These little inconsistencies are easier to spot when you place a copy of the text object with a different color in the background to create an embossed type effect. I didn't spend too much time on the issue since it was easier to create a new text object manually.

A related issue could be that on Windows 8 FileMaker sometimes is not aware of the correct length of a calculation field and the text is deemed to large and is not being displayed at all. Increasing the zoom level to 150% remedies the error since the font size shrinks disproportionally. Afterwards you can go back to 100% and the text object inside the calculation field will display correctly. Changing the zoom level seems to causes FileMaker to reassign the length of the calculation field and display its content correctly. However, changing the zoom level does not work for the misaligned text which is the issue Benjamin has reported here.

• 12. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect

@CodeCruncher: 

Thank you for the reply.

"Yes - the objects show the same position in the inspector and using the alignment buttons has no effect."

Since I cannot reproduce the above issue, even in a converted file by copying styles with the Inspector, could you provide the file (problem layout only) to Testing?

If so, please let me know, and I will private message the instructions on how to submit.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
                                  codecruncher

Thanks for the invitation but it would have to be a commercial runtime file without administration access which is not really suitable for testing. Either way I have fixed the issue in my solution by creating new text objects and not copying styles via the inspector.

• 14. Re: Inspector - Object position incorrect
                                    Benjamin Fehr

@PhilModJunk

I can't replicate this issue with FMPA 14. But my current layouts differ from those when I initially reported this issue: no Classic-Theme used anymore, all based on CSS.

I would suggest to mark this issue as resolved unless other reports come in √