Inspector font sizes mis-identify

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

Windows Professional SP2

Description of the issue

Font size 7 is improperly identified by Inspector as font size 72.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a new file with one field.  Place the field on a form layout and size it to 7 points (we use Verdana). Be sure Inspector is open and go to the Position tab.  Now de-select so nothing on the layout is selected is selected (and be sure Inspector is still on Position tab) and then again select your now 7 pt field.  Now change inspector to the Appearance tab.

Expected result

It should show the size of the field's font.

Actual result

It instead displays size 72.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

It does the same thing when starting on the Data tab.  It is not simply a refresh (assuming 72 was the default setting before selecting new font size 7).  My default font size is 11.

Workaround

It is annoying and can waste time because when you pop the size selector to change it back, it resizes the field. It is great annoyance because it can change the size and, as you all know, once the size is changed, it also changes the width of the field.

BTW, your forum is as buggy as your software.  When I attempt to preview and then edit a post here (and it's happened several times now), it will remove my edit and display message, "Oops! There was a slight hiccup with our website. Please try again in a few minutes."

It takes me several minutes to get my changes to go through.

• 1. Re: Inspector font sizes mis-identify
          Steve Wright

I can confirm this is happening on Windows 7 too.  Seems fine on OSX.

Meanwhile, the formatting bar remains consistent showing 7 pt

• 2. Re: Inspector font sizes mis-identify
            LaRetta_1

Thank you for confirming. :^)

I've noticed it isn't only 7 pt.  I'm working in a complex report where font size is 4.  Using same technique, Inspector changes it to 48.  It seems that, if it is a font which is not in their options of selected fonts then it tries to guess by jumping to the largest font which begins with that number (this is entirely a guess but all I can see for a pattern).

This is, of course, improper behavior.  Once you select a field, you should be able to go to the Appearance tab and see the correct font listed.  FMI?  While you are in there fixing Inspector, please 'select all' when tabbing to Positions.  It drives us nuts that we must remove a prior value and can't simply begin typing our new value.  Mr_Vodka posted it in your Bugs forum a few months ago.

And I have to express EXTREME dissatisfaction on the few number of bugs which were fixed with the 11.0v2 updater.  My faith (and my company's faith) is failing quickly.  And no matter what Domonique tries to tell us, you are still blowing it right and left.  Your forum is another example of lack of pre-planning and poor, weak implementation.

And for God's sake ... put back emoticons for us.  Communicating only with words on a forum is difficult enough but taking away another method of expressing is one more poor decision on your part.

• 3. Re: Inspector font sizes mis-identify
              TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

Like "SWS", I can confirm the problem on my Windows machines.  The problem does not occur with Mac OS X 10.5.8 nor 10.6.4.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.

I have also forwarded your forum comments to the forum administrator.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Inspector font sizes mis-identify
                amandap

I am also having this font size issue with FMP12A on Windows 7. Though my font size is set to be 6, it shows as 72 in the Inspector. You'd think it would have been fixed by now!