Inspector position coordinates show "-" when selecting multiple objects

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP 12.0v1

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Steps to reproduce the problem

Select two objects in layout mode and look at the Inspector.  If the objects don't have the same horizontal and/or vertical positioning on the layout, the Top/Bottom and/or Left/Right coordinates are blanked out with a dash.  This is behavior new to FMP12, and it removes helpful functionality from previous versions.

Related to this, entering a new coordinate over the dash aligns all selected objects to the new value.  In previous versions, applying a new coordinate wouldn't change their positioning relative to each other.  The earlier behavior was more useful, in that you could always use the align commands if you wanted, but now you have no choice in the matter: they're aligned whether you like it or not.

Expected result

Left should show the maximum left point of all selected, Top should show the maximum top point of all selected, etc.

Also, entering a new coordinate value shouldn't auto-align multiple objects.  Let me align things with the align commands if alignment is what I'm after.

Workaround

Group objects before trying to position them together (or before even looking at their collective dimensions).  Please don't tell me we're actually expected to have to do this when working with multiple objects at once.

Outcomes