1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 8:27 AM by TSGal

Inspectors Suck, But Now They Cover Up FMP Buttons and Controls Also!

HerbertFluhler

Summary

Inspectors Suck, But Now They Cover Up FMP Buttons and Controls Also!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6

Description of the issue

I just bought FMP Advanced to address another issue (separate bug report).  But then I went to edit my layout, and darn all if a dang Inspector does not pop up, covering ALL the buttons on the right of the Layout window! 

SO, I have to go MOVE the stupid inspector, just to save the layout and exit the Layout Mode.  How DUMB!@  Didn't somebody use this thing and test this for usability before releasing this thing?  At the very least the default size and position of an inspector should not cover up other parts of the program that one actually needs to get to!

BTW, this aggravates me more than other things might because I have a real problem with inspectors:  I think they are the dumbest GUI interface construct that anyone has ever come up with.  I have never found a program yet where inspectors work.  They are always in the way and usually a pain to read and figure out what to click to get something done.  That is one of the reasons that Microsoft dropped them in Office.  You should too !  It was a bad move to go TO inspectors.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See above

Expected result

I expect my program not to interfere with itself, covering up necessary GUI controls and constructs!

Quit trying to be so fancy (FMP is not fancy anyway, so why bother with Inspector). 

Here is what you need to do.  Make it Object -Action- Verb oriented.  See an action, double click on it, and up pops a Dialog (NOT an inspector!).  You click a couple of buttons or other controls to fully characterize the properties of the object, then click the Save or Close button on this properties dialog.  Its there when you need it, contextual to the exact properties of the object clicked, easy to use when you need it, and GONE when you are through.  So simple!  So elegant, and this GUI device has been around forever.  Everyone knows how it works.  And it even works in windoze.  Remember KISS!  Inspectors and NOT KISS!

Actual result

See above

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

n/a

Workaround

Shut Inspectors off (if one can).  But that defeats one of the main purposes of the upgrade, doesn't it.