Summary

Installation code conflict

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

MAC OS 10.5.8

Description of the issue

When I open FM on a certain computer I can open a DB that is stored in one computer but when I try to open another DB that the file is on another computer I get an error message saying that "The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FM pro. Installation code conflict occurred with user "XXX". It used to work until I had to re-install the OS from scratch and wipe the HD clean. We have 6 computers and 5 of them work fine.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open Remote -> click on Hosts -> choose item in Local Hosts.

Expected result

Opens DB

Actual result

Get error conflict when open DB that is on another computer

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro. Please refer to the installation Code section of your getting Started Guide for further instructions.
      Installation code conflict occurred with user "XXX".

Picture_1.png

• 1. Re: Installation code conflict
          philmodjunk

It sounds like when you re-installed filemaker after the system rebuild you accidentally used the same install code as one of the other machines on your network. That would explain the error you are seeing anyway.

• 2. Re: Installation code conflict
            RudyM

All I did was copy the program to a disk and copied it back so all the info remained the same. It worked fine before the OS upgrade. I have done the same to two other computers and it works fine. I have thrown away the FM preferences as per the instructions on the site but it still does not work. I can open another DB that is on another computer and it opens fine.

• 3. Re: Installation code conflict
              TSGal

RudyM:

Thank you for your post.

When FileMaker Pro launches, it takes the installed License Key and looks on the network to see if that License Key is in use by another machine.  If so, then you get the message.  In your case, it found the License Key conflict with user "Dennis Morrison".  Therefore, disconnect yourself from the network, launch FileMaker Pro, pull down the FileMaker Pro menu and select "About FileMaker Pro".  This will display the installed License Key.  Then, go to Dennis Morrison's computer, launch FileMaker Pro, and verify he is using the same License Key.  If not, then reconnect yourself to the network, and launch FileMaker Pro again.

Let me know if you continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Installation code conflict
                TimothyKing

I just started getting this error out of nowhere in the last few days & I'm baffled, particularly since it says that the conflict is with myself. I'm the only user at my office using the Developer version of FM6 (for an old, very complicated & always in use database), so I really don't know what happened. I could try reinstalling it, but I'd like to purge the current license key first & I can't figure out where that's held. I really need to get this sorted out so I can get back into the Budget database (on our server, so disconnecting from the network isn't an option).

Tim King