Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0.v3

Operating system version

OSX 10.8.2

Description of the issue

After installing an update from FM11 Pro to FM12 Pro Advanced I can't enable Instant Web Publishing. When trying to turn it on (pressing the radio button) the program doesn't respond for about 15-20 seconds, then presents the error message "FileMaker cannot share files over the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started."

Turning off the firewall has no effect.
      I still have FM11 installed.

Steps to reproduce the problem

File>Sharing>Instant  Web Publishing

Press radio button: Instant Web Publishing On: On

Expected result

Enable Instant Web Publishing

Actual result

Error message

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker cannot share files over the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started.

Configuration information

FM11 still installed.
      Firewall turned off.

ERROR_IWP.png

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Eirik Fjeld:

Thank you for the post.

Is Instant Web Publishing still turned on for FileMaker Pro 11?

I was only able to replicate this behavior if I first turn on the Instant Web Publishing feature in FileMaker Pro 11, and then attempt to turn on Instant Web Publishing in FileMaker Pro 12. After I quit FileMaker Pro 11, I was able to turn on the Instant Web Publishing feature in FileMaker Pro 12.

If this is the case for you, please let me know; otherwise, we can discuss additional troubleshooting steps. 

TSFalcon
               FileMaker, Inc.
          • 2. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
            CraigStark_1

I'm having the same exact problem as well.  I upgraded from 11 to 12v2 (10.7.5 Server) and cannot start IWP.  I patched to 12v3 and still can't start it.   11 is not running at all (did a clean reboot) and yet I get this.  The only other bit of info is that when I click the radio box to start IWP, it first says there is a port conflict and pops up a dialog with 80 as the default.  We'd been runing on 1200 in any case and giving that or another port doens't help.  After a few seconds, I get a spinning beach ball and then about 10 seconds later I get the dialog saying IWP cannot be started.  FWIW, I believe it is still just fine in 11.

Craig

• 3. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Craig Stark:

Thank you for the post.

Since you are dealing with FileMaker Server 12 as the host instead of FileMaker Pro 12, please see this post related to installing FileMaker Server 12 on 10.8.2 for suggestions:

Can't install FileMaker Server 12 after 10.8.2 Supplemental 2.0 on macmini6,2

Please let me know if those steps were the resolution; otherwise, we can discuss next steps.

TSFalcon
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
                CraigStark_1

Actually, it's FMPro running on OS X Server, not FM Server.  

Craig

• 5. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Craig Stark:

Thank you for the reply.

Is FileMaker Server 11 completely uninstalled from the computer? FileMaker Server processes start automatically after a reboot. If you open activity monitor from Applications>Utilites, select "All Processes" in the top left hand corner drop down and type "FM" in the filter, do any processes with the user "fmserver" appear in the list?

This error can sometimes appears if FileMaker Pro's Instant Web Publishing is enabled when FileMaker Server is already hosting.

Please note FileMaker does not test the FileMaker Pro client on server operating systems except for terminal services. 

If no processes with the "fmserver" user appear in activity monitor, completely uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro 12 to see if the error persists.

TSFalcon
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
                    ClaudioAlfaro

We are having the exact same issue as this, is there any solution? We are running filemaker v12 on lion server 10.7.5 . We had it working fine on the initial install, then after a reboot poof its now displaying the error as Erik is indicating above.

- Tried reinstallling filemaker

-tried checking permissions on filemake folder in apps

- rebooted server

what next ?

• 7. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Claudio Alfaro:

Thank you for the post.

So, this is a Mac OS X 10.7.5 Server with FileMaker Pro 12 installed? What is the update version of FileMaker Pro 12? Is any version of FileMaker Server installed on this computer?

Some steps that may resolve the issue:

1. Boot into Safe Mode by holding the Shift key upon startup.

2. Create a new Admin user account. 

3. Log in to the new user and uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro 12 in the new account, making sure not to reinstall any third party plugins. 

4. Now test turning on Instant Web Publishing.

Please let me know the results of these tests or if this was the resolution.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
                        ClaudioAlfaro

TS Falcon, thanks for the Reply, ok will do. We are running filemaker pro v12.03

I suspect this is permission related, aswell. A couple of questions and notes as well.

1. how do you cleanly uninstall filemaker 12 completely ( im assuming that safe mode will do this) I have been dragging the application folder to the trash and then removing the library folder that filemaker creates called "reciepts" Is there a better way? When I re install, i am not prompted to uninstall filemaker so there does not appear to be any automated way to uninstall fmp.

2. on Re install and re launch, as mentioned , there appears to be a memory ( file or other?) about IWP being turned on. This is the only assumption I can make since I have deleted all references ( that I can find ) to fmp pro 12 yet it still attempts to start the IWP service on restart. There is also no web logs or web prefs present on restart/re install.

Will try your suggestions and get back to you.

thanks,

Claudio.

• 9. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
                          CraigStark_1

Sorry for the delay - We've never had a Server version here.  We've got FM 11 Pro and FM 12 Pro on the machine.  Running FM 11 Pro and all is fine. Running FM 12 Pro and we hit the issue.  No sign of "fmserver" running.

Craig

• 10. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Craig Stark:

Thank you for the post.

Is Instant Web Publishing feature still turned on for FileMaker Pro 11?

I can replicate this behavior if I first turn on the Instant Web Publishing feature in FileMaker Pro 11, and then attempt to turn on Instant Web Publishing in FileMaker Pro 12. After I quit FileMaker Pro 11, I was able to turn on the Instant Web Publishing feature in FileMaker Pro 12.

Both versions of FileMaker use the same port for Instant Web Publishing, so only one will work at a time. 

If this is the case for you, please let me know; otherwise, we can discuss additional troubleshooting steps. 

TSFalcon
                                 FileMaker, Inc.
                            • 11. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
                              CraigStark_1

I've hit the issue after a clean reboot without FM 11 ever running.  Activity Monitor shows no FileMaker process or FM Web Publishing process (or fmserver).  I launch FM Pro 12 and go to Sharing, IWP and it says there is a port conflict.  I change to the port we've used (1200), hit OK and after a few secs I get a beachball.  After 15 secs or so, I get that error.  Try using another port # and the same thing happens.

Craig

• 12. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Craig Stark:

What is the version of Mac OS X server?

Some steps that may resolve the issue:

1. Boot into Safe Mode by holding the Shift key upon startup.

2. Create a new Admin user account. 

3. Log in to the new user and uninstall all versions of FileMaker Pro.

4. Reinstall FileMaker Pro 12 and updates in the new account, making sure not to reinstall any third party plugins. 

4. Now test turning on Instant Web Publishing.

Please let me know the results of these tests or if this was the resolution.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
                                  ClaudioAlfaro

Hi Tsfalcon, I have tried exactly what you said and we still get the error. I even remved the software using appcleaner so it was completely gone. Threre appears to be no folders created under the filemaker web folder either ( as i recall these are created once iwp is turned on )

Again im running lion server ( fully patched ) and the latest version of filemaker.. this is a brand new server too..

• 14. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
                                    ClaudioAlfaro

Hi all, ok so here is how we solved the problem, but first a recap..

As mentioned we where able to start IWP using filemaker 12.03 exactly once on os x server 10.7.5. After a re boot the above screen shot appeared and we could not restart IWP since it would consistantly complain that the IWP service could not be started.

- we tried cleaning the installation with app cleaner

- tried logging in as a new admin ( as tsfalcon suggested) and removing installing removing etc.

- examined permissions on every folder and file in the filemaker.app and esured the access was correct.

None of this worked and we spent a considerable amount of time on this. My intution is screaming permissions problem and it probably is, but I could not find where.. if anyone knows let me know!

Solution:

We installed a VM of OS X lion server 10.7.5 running on the same server and re hosted the filemaker database. This resolved the issue ( for now ). Since Apple provides two ( i belive ) licences that can be virtualized and we had enough ram to spare, this was the best option considering people in the office needed this to be web published.

Conclusion:

Not sure if this is a filemaker problem or a mac os x problem.

Cheers,

Claudio

1 2 Previous Next