Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

Windows 7 SP1

Description of the issue

When I click Instant Web Publishing "On" from Sharing/Instant Web Publishing I get the message "FileMaker cannot share files ofver the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started."

"All users" are selected for IWP "access to file . . .
      "Don't display in IWP homepage" is NOT selected.

I am logged in to the same admin account in which I installed FM.  I'm using Microsoft Firewall and don't see any reason it would be stopping FileMaker or any of its components.

I've checked Forum posts and outside support forums, but haven't found a solution.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Click Instant Web Publishing "On" from Sharing/Instant Web Publishing.

Expected result

Instant Web Publishing for currently open files is activated.

Actual result

Pop up window with error message "FileMaker cannot share files ofver the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started."

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"FileMaker cannot share files ofver the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started."

Configuration information

Access to Internet is PC to wired connection to switch to wired connection with router to wired connection to cable modem.

AVG antivirus and Microsoft Firewall.

Workaround

None.

1_fm_error.png

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Jeff Burns:

Thank you for the post.

Do you have a copy of FileMaker Server or an earlier version of FileMaker Pro also running on the same machine?

If you create a new user account, login to the new user account and launch FileMaker Pro, are you then able to turn on Instant Web Publishing?

Did you install any updates to Windows after FileMaker Pro was installed?  If so, uninstall FileMaker Pro 12, remove the FileMaker Pro 12 folder to remove any possible conflicts, reinstall the application, and then test turning on Instant Web Publishing.  

Do you have access to another machine?  If so, temporarily install FileMaker Pro 12 to that machine and see if you are able to turn on Instant Web Publishing.  If this works, then check out the differences between the two machines.  Antivirus or security software could cause the conflict, so a good test would be to try a computer without AVG or other third party security software installed.

If the above steps do not lead to a resolution, please post back and we can discuss further troubleshooting steps. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
            peterytena

Hi TSFalon,

I have the same issue with Filemaker PRO Advanced 12v04 with Windows 7SP1.

Suprisingly, Yesterday IWS did start and worked

Today IWS is not started correctly and I get the message ""FileMaker cannot share files ofver the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started."

I have disable firewalls and virusscanner but without any result. I have even reinstalled filemaker.

I am a developer and need to deliver the application to my customer next week.

Are there any workarrounds, settings that can be changed?

Thanks

Peter

• 3. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started

Peter VDM:

Thank you for the reply.

If FileMaker Pro's Instant Web Publishing was working yesterday, but not today, then what changed? Were any other programs installed? Any programs that were disabled that were reenabled?

The only FileMaker setting is ON/OFF.

Troubleshooting FileMaker Web Sharing in FileMaker Pro

Are any other copies of FileMaker Pro installed? Is FileMaker Server installed? If you MSCONFIG to disable everything but the essential Windows services and FileMaker Pro 12, then does the error occur when opening FileMaker?

If the error occurs under a selective startup, then try a new user or an installation on another computer.

If the above steps do not lead to a resolution, please post back with the test results and we can discuss further troubleshooting.

TSFalcon
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Instant Web Publishing could not be started
                peterytena

Hi TSFalcon,

Here is the update on the issue. 

I have solved the issue by removing a 3rd party barcode plugin. After that IWS started normally. I have stopped and started several time again and it keeps working ;-) 

Still strange that it had worked for 1 day.

However, IWS is a blackbox and there is no way to see what happens when something goes wrong. It would be great if Filemaker provides a log file with all steps within the startup process. In this way we could see where it goes wrong

Please also provide more details on the technology used. What is the webserver used? Tomcat? 

Modernisation on the graphics would also be great. The classic team is becoming too old. Why not use CSS for formatting so we could leverage the new layout themes in IWS too

Thanks again for your quick response on my previous question.