1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 2:13 PM by TSGal

Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade

RichardAll

Summary

Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade

Description of the issue

I upgraded to Pro 11 Advanced yesterday and everything appeared to go as expected.  I have a database I share with another department through IWP which has worked fine for over a year. This morning I arrive to an unhealthy amount of emails telling me the database was gone.  I looked into what could be the problem and found that the IWP settings had changed for the port.  The default port was now set to 6004962 instead of 801 which it has been since I published. I have tried to change the port number back to 801 and it get a message that there is a conflict.  I have tried other ports but no success.  In a few of the tries, when changing the port, filemaker locked up and required a reboot. One detail I find interesting and can't explain is that the ports should not exceed 65523 so how can the default be 6004962? Please help me set this back to 801 or another usable port. The natives are getting restless! 

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
          TSGal

RichardAll:

Thank you for your post.

Two users called into Technical Support with the same problem last week, and today, and although we were unable to replicate the problem initially, I am able to replicate the problem on one of the Windows XP machines available to me.  In my case, the port is 9 digits in length.  When I change it to port 80 or port 591 and then return to Instant Web Publishing to check it, the port number reverts to the same 9 digits.  The other two customers were running Vista.  I am unable to replicate the issue on a Mac.  Can you verify the machine and OS you are using?

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  Currently, I am unable to find a workaround except to revert back to FileMaker Pro 10.  I will definitely keep you updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
            s-kelsey@nicnet.co.jp

I'm getting similar behavior on a Japanese language Vista Ultimate SP2 machine. Setting IWP to "On" will generate a port of  -1823120158. Clicking the Advanced Settings will show port 2471847138. Clicking OK to enable IWP causes FileMaker to crash whether I change the port number or not. I hope this helps.

Stephen

• 3. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
              TSGal

All:

I received the following information back from Testing...

=================

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, a conflict will occur if you run FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 11 on the same computer with Instant Web Publishing enabled in both versions.  Because both versions of FileMaker Pro use the same port number and the same "web.prefs" configuration file for Instant Web Publishing, you cannot run both versions of FileMaker Pro with Instant Web Publishing enabled at the same time.  The "web.prefs" file for FileMaker Pro 10 does not work with FileMaker Pro 11, and vice-versa.  To avoid conflicts, enable Instant Web Publishing in only one of the versions of FileMaker Pro running on the same computer.  If you must switch between versions of FileMaker Pro with Instant Web Publishing enabled in both, you must use the following instructions to delete the "web.prefs" file each time you switch:

1. Turn off Instant Web Publishing in one of the versions of FileMaker Pro and then exit.

2. Delete the "web.prefs" file in:   Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\FileMaker

3. Start the other version of FileMaker Pro and turn on Instant Web Publishing.

==========================

Please try the above and let me know if it works (or not).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                TSGal

All:

As Testing tries to narrow down this problem, they want to Oknow if your installation of FileMaker Pro 11 was done using an Upgrade License Key or a New License Key.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                  TSGal

All:

There is a problem with FileMaker Pro 11 reading FileMaker Pro 10 web.prefs file.  Quit FileMaker Pro and remove the web.prefs file.

For Windows 7 and Vista, the file is located:

User\%UserName%\App Date\Local\FileMaker\web.prefs

For Windows XP, the file is located:

C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Local Settings\Application Data\FileMaker\web.prefs

Once this file is removed, launch FileMaker Pro and turn on Instant Web Publishing.

If you continue to have difficulty, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                    cache

FileMaker 11 Advanced crashes when activating web publishing. I deleted all files "web.prefs" on C: (there were not files from FM 10 left). FileMaker 11 Advanced creates a new file web.prefs when i switch instant web publishing "on", but this web.prefs is filled with chinese symbols. The problem is not solved.

Environment:

FileMaker 11 Advanced 11.0v1

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Kaspersky Internet Security 9.0.0.736

Dell Vostro 1520 with 8 Gb Ram

FileMaker was installed with admin-rights

Claus Pantle

FBA

• 7. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                      TSGal

cache:

Thank you for your post.

First of all, the web.prefs file is not an ASCII file, so you will see strange characters or "chinese symbols".

If you create a new user account, log in to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced and turn on Instant Web Publishing, a new web.prefs file will be created for that user.  Does this work?  If so, then something in your original user account is affecting Instant Web Publishing.  If it still fails, then there is a system setting.

Anybody else encountering problems with FileMaker Pro 11 (Pro or Advanced) under Windows 7 Professional using Instant Web Publishing?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                        cache

TSGal,

thank you! I created another user "test" (admin) and logged in as "test". FM 11 Adv. does not crash when activating IWP but: "FileMaker could not share files because IWP could not be started". web.prefs' owner is user "test" with full rights.

I have a "twin"-system as backup (same hardware, same software). The only difference is FileMaker 11 instead of FileMaker 11 Advanced. On this notebook it works.

cache

• 9. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                          TSGal

cache:

Thank you for the additional information.

In case there is a conflict with port 80, try changing the port to 591 (reserved by FileMaker).  Does this work?

Do you happen to have FileMaker Server installed on the same machine?  If so, FileMaker Pro would be unable to start Instant Web Publishing.

The Advance License Key takes FileMaker Pro and unlocks the extra features.  Therefore, FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced should not be a factor.  Just to be sure, try installing FileMaker Pro 11 on the original machine.  You do not have to uninstall FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced, as a new folder will be created.  You will mostlikely receive the same error message.

Is there anything else on the "twin" machine that is different?  Any system settings?  Network?  Virus protection software?  I'd like to narrow this down further.

TSGal

FileMaker, inc.

• 10. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                            Pcolin007

Hi,

I just had the problem after updating the FTN version to a commercial version.

Windows 7 Home Premium

FileMaker Pro Advanced 11

Instant web publishing.

I tried delete the web.prefs file, but it still doesn't work.

Another clue, the start of filemaker and the openning of the sharing window are very slow.

Thank you for your help'

Pierre.

Interface Intl

• 11. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                              TSGal

Pierre:

Thank you for your post.

Can you be a little more specific about "the start of filemaker and the opening of the sharing window are very slow."  That is, approximately how many seconds for each?

Do you have access to another machine where you can install FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced?  If so, please install and see if the problem exists there, too.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                                MarloSteed

I am having a similar problem with Filemaker 11 and OSX 10.6.5

I turn Instant Web Publishing and then either try to change the port from 80 to 591 or just click OK and Filemaker crashes.  I have tried deleting the prefs as per the instructions above, tried changing the port number.

Same result - program crashes.

Note:  mine was an upgrade from Filemaker 10.

Are there any changes that need to be made to system preferences for this to work?  What about to the router?  I am just using the apple extreme wireless router. 

• 13. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                                  TSGal

Marlo Steed:

Thank you for your post.

Instant Web Publishing can be active for only one occurrence of FileMaker Pro.  Therefore, make sure FileMaker Pro 10 is not open when you are running FileMaker Pro 11.  Still, FileMaker Pro 11 would not crash with FileMaker Pro 10 open.

Try removing the web.prefs file from the following location:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> FileMaker Pro 11 -> Extentsions -> Web Support -> web.prefs

Launch FileMaker Pro 11, pull down the File menu and select Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing...

Try turning on Instant Web Publishing.  Since a new web.prefs file will be created, it may take a little time.

If you have access to another Mac, try installing FileMaker Pro 11 and try turning on Instant Web Publishing.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Instant Web Publishing not working after 11 Advanced upgrade
                                    MarloSteed

I got it to work with this information:

HERE'S THE STEPS we came across, but for more info see this link:

http://theappleblog.com/2009/05/05/how-to-port-forwarding-on-a-airport-extreme-time-capsule/

1. I opened Mac OS X System Preferences --> Security and clicked on the Firewall tab to ensure FileMaker Pro and it's accompanying services were set for "Allow incoming connections".  I found three apparently associated services set to allow:
                                    •  
                                      1. FileMaker Pro
                                      2. fmiwppf
                                      3. FM Web Publishing
                                    1. Turn on IWP in FM Pro as outlined in that documentation and take note of the IP address in the "URL" field.
                                    2. Open Airport Utility (please note, different versions of AU will appear differently.  I have AU 5.4.2 on OS 10.5.8.  The AU in the link above is slightly different then mine.
                                    3. Go to the Advanced settings by choosing the Advanced icon in the toolbar.
                                    4. Choose the Port Mapping tab.
                                    5. Click the 'plus' sign to add a new port map info.
                                    6. This is what worked for me:
                                    •  
                                      1. Service: Personal Web Sharing
                                      2. Public UDP Port(s): 80 (I've been told 591 is a good alternative)
                                      3. Public TCP Port(s): 80 (again, 591 as an alternative may work)
                                      4. Private IP Address: the IP address from step #1 above
                                      5. Private UDP Port(s): 80 (ditto on 591)
                                      6. Private TCP Port(s): 80 (ditto on 591)
                                    1. Click Continue and add whatever Description you wish.  I left the rest untouched and clicked Done.
                                    2. Click Update and allow Time Capsule to update / restart.
                                    3. Go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ to get your IP address (mine's dynamic so yes.. it could change at any moment).
                                    4. Provide your IP address *plus* ":80", or whatever port you used on the end, to someone outside your network.  So, for example -- http://153.58.200.193:80 or http://32.51.192.203:591 (completely made up IP addresses but the formatting is the key).

That was all I did... and THAT is what I meant by "step-by-step" :smileywink:.  I understand everyone's set up is different; e.g. I happen to have a modem that's not a router and Apple's Time Capsule was where I needed to focus, but hopefully the above helps someone else set up IWP "in a couple of clicks."

1 2 Previous Next