6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 2:19 PM by TSGal

Instant Web Publishing Portal Printing Bug

AngelInternet

Summary

Instant Web Publishing Portal Printing Bug

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved FM Server 9.03.326 Operating System(s) involved Windows XP SP3 Detailed description of the issue A portal that breaks across page boundaries is invisible above the page break in print preview and actual printing in Internet Explorer 7. The problem also exists with Firefox 3 but I have not tested exhaustively there. Exact steps to reproduce the issue Sample FM database available at: http://www.angel-internet.com/other/FM_Printing_Bug.zip Download the database and host via IWP. Using Internet Explorer 7 go to your IWP home page and select "FM Printing Bug"Login using the Guest accountYou will see a layout with one parent record ("Record 1") and a portal with 9 records lower down the page ("Apple" etc.)Go to Print PreviewSelect "Only the selected frame" and "Shrink to fit" from the dropdown menus at the topYou will see that page 1 only shows "Record 1", the portal is completely missing from page 1 and appears on page 2 from its sixth record. There is a space for the first 5 records on page 1, but they are not visible. Expected Result Portal previews and prints as displayed on screen Actual Result Portal is not visible until after the page break Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared Not applicable Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue Not applicable Any workarounds that you have foundNone, other than rearranging the layout so the portal does not break across the page. However, I have looked at the HTML and identified a specific DIV and CSS style that fixes the problem if changed. Here is the source HTML of the page as rendered: http://www.angel-internet.com/other/as_rendered.htm Here is the source HTML with the CSS overflow style changed to "visible" on the DIV just before the first portal row DIV: http://www.angel-internet.com/other/as_rendered_corrected.htm This works for IE7 but not FF3.

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing Portal Printing Bug
          TSGal

AngelInternet

After downloading the file, here are the steps I have taken...

1. Launched this with FileMaker Pro on Mac OS 10.5.5 (I know this is happening on Windows, but wanted to try this first).

2. I turned on IWP and went to my Windows machine (Windows XP SP3) to access the file.

3. I launched FireFox, went to Print Preview, and the first page shows six portal values.  I do have a second page, but it is blank.  That is, three portal values are missing.

4. I launched Safari, and the first four five portal values displayed on page one, and the last four displayed on page two.

5. With Microsoft Internet Explorer, I show 4.5 values with a scroll bar hiding the other values.  I cannot see a second page.  That is with "Fit to page" selected.  If I select 70%, I can see all portal records.

6. I quit out of FileMaker Pro on my Mac and moved the file to my Windows machine.

7. I launched the file on my Windows machine and turned on IWP.

8. On my Mac, I opened the file with Safari, and the first four portal values displayed on page one, and the last five displayed on page two.

9. With Firefox, I show the first four values on page one, and even though the paper says "1 of 2", only one page prints.

10. I do not have Internet Explorer on my Mac.

I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for confirmation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Instant Web Publishing Portal Printing Bug
            AngelInternet
               Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the cross-platform testing.

Regarding your step 5:

When printing from IE I would expect users to select "Only the selected frame" or "All frames individually" from the dropdown menu at the top of the Print Preview otherwise they get the result you saw (with the default "As laid out on screen" selected). You will need IE7 rather than IE6 to see these options in Print Preview.

I'm glad you were able to see a printing bug, but a little concerned that it was not quite the same bug I saw!

• 3. Re: Instant Web Publishing Portal Printing Bug
              bobearl

I am having what I believe is a related problem, with blank pages after page 1 when printing from Firefox.

I have a 2 page layout in FM Pro Advanced 10, and I would like it to print both pages using instant web publishing (IWP).  In Safari, I can print and get a second page, but in Firefox the second page is blank.  There is no portal involved in this problem.  This seems like a related problem to the link from a year ago; has anyone solved this issue?

• 4. Re: Instant Web Publishing Portal Printing Bug
                TSGal

bobearl:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, your post describes what I encountered with my step #3 above.  Even though this was reported ten months ago, there is still no resolution.  Until this is changed, I would try to put all relevant information on one page, or perhaps consider using a second layout for the second page.

If any resolution becomes available, I will post here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Instant Web Publishing Portal Printing Bug
                  bobearl
                     Thanks very much for the info.  Please let the powers that be know that there is still interest in having the problem fixed.  In the meantime, I will proceed with a second layout for the second page.
                  • 6. Re: Instant Web Publishing Portal Printing Bug
                    TSGal

bobearl:

I have attached both of your posts to the issue, so the appropriate people are notified.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.