3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 8:59 AM by TSGal

Instant Web Sharing Won't Start

SandyCline

Summary

Instant Web Sharing Won't Start & FMA9.0.3 then crashes.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

ADVANCE 9.0.3  and FM 8.0v3

Operating system version

10.5.8  mac

Description of the issue

INSTANT WEB SHARING WON'T START UP
      Filemaker Pro Advance 9.0.3  with/ fm_9.0_SSL_osx_updater installed.
      also  Filemaker Pro 8.0v3

Mac 10.5.8 w/ recent update

Web Sharing won't stat on either 9.0.3 or 8.0v3. 
      9.0.3 crashes each time i try to start IWS and 8.0v3 just says it can't start IWS.

I have exactly the same software and system on a laptop which starts and does IWS just fine.

After 9.0.3 crashed several times, i tried 8.0v3 and it published fine.  Quite that application, and restarted it, and then it too, refused to start up IWS

Have tried removing com.filemaker.pro.advance.plist from Preference Folder
      Also removed web.prefs from Web Support Folder under FM 9.0.3  & restarted computer several times.
      and Changed the Port to 591.

Is there any other suggestions i can use.

• 1. Re: Instant Web Sharing Won't Start & FMA9.0.3 then crashes.
          TSGal

Sandy Cline:

Thank you for your post.

The web.prefs file is the correct file to remove.  When you try to turn on Instant Web Publishing, a new web.prefs file will be created.

Make sure you do not have FileMaker Server also installed, as you would not be able to turn on Instant Web Publishing.  Also, make sure no other copy of FileMaker Pro is running on the same machine.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Instant Web Sharing Won't Start & FMA9.0.3 then crashes.
            SandyCline

to:  TSGal

Thanks for reply.  Tried this solution of removing "web.prefs"  before, but did try it again for both FM 9 and FM 8, with NO results. 

I also have FM11 installed, on same machine, and it does IWP just fine.

The problem is with FM 9 and FM 8.  Neighter will now start IWP.  The "Status Area Language" box don't fill in as it did before, and then the application just crashes.  If i try to do advanced options, it crashes when i click to accept changes.  Can't change port either, except when the application specifically asks for a port change, but it still crashes at the end, without start IWP.

I don't seem to have my original copy of FM 8 for an re-install, but did re-install FM9, but the problem persists.

• 3. Re: Instant Web Sharing Won't Start & FMA9.0.3 then crashes.
              TSGal

Sandy Cline:

Thank you for the additional information.

Naturally, make sure FileMaker Pro 11 is not running at the same time as FileMaker Pro 9.  Otherwise, you will be unable to start Instant Web Publishing.

Quit out of all instances of FileMaker Pro.

Remove the web.prefs file from:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced -> Extensions -> Web Support -> web.prefs

Launch FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced, open any data file, pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing...".  Turn on Instant Web Publishing.  If it asks you to change the port, then select 591 as this is registered and reserved by FileMaker, Inc.

Let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.