Summary

Intermittent crash/quit of FileMaker when printing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Description of the issue

FileMaker is crashing frequently on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013). I've tested using FileMaker 12 and 13 and get the same fault. A lot of the time it is when I got to print so I assumed the print driver is out of date, I've made sure I have the latest driver installed for my printer and my machine has been installed cleanly. Other times I can just be working away and the application will quit unexpectedly.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Printing to PDF or printer, sometimes general use of FileMaker.

Expected result

FileMaker not to unexpectedly quit when printing

Actual result

Intermittently crashing FileMaker

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Crash reports can be provided. Here is the header of one:

Process:         FileMaker Pro [4292]
      Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
      Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.advanced12
      Version:         13.0.1 (13.0.1)
      Code Type:       X86 (Native)
      Parent Process:  launchd [158]
      Responsible:     FileMaker Pro [4292]
      User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2014-04-03 16:30:06.621 +1300
      OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
      Report Version:  11
      Anonymous UUID:  BD279D4A-D4AC-3612-B180-7B90FAB06193

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
      Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
      --> __PAGEZERO             0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [    4K] ---/--- SM=NUL  /Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
          VM_ALLOCATE            0000000000001000-00000000000e0000 [  892K] ---/--- SM=NUL

Configuration information

OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
      DocuPrint P355 d - Driver Version 1.2

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Intermittent crash/quit of FileMaker when printing
          philmodjunk

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
               Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

What is reported when you recover the file?

The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
          3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
               That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...You've already indicated that this most frequently happens when printing, but try to narrow this down even further. Try different printer drivers (for different printers) if possible and note whether it's always the same layout or layouts that are up when you get the crash...