4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 8:49 AM by TSGal

Is this a bug?  Or a "feature"?

mattb

Summary

Is this a bug?  Or a "feature"?

Description of the issue

I posted this in the "Using Filemaker Pro" forum and have gotten no response so far, so now I'm posting it here as a possible bug: I've been working with FMP Advanced 10.0v3 for Mac OSX.  All of the compiled runtime versions of the app I'm working on have thered close button grayed out and inactive on all windows.  The orange minimize and green maximize buttons are still active.  This is notthe case in the development environment, only in compiled runtime versions. Can someone please definitively tell me whether the graying out of the red OSX close button on all windows is a permanent feature of Mac FMPruntime and must I create my own window closing buttons for each window??  I hope not.    Matt Bloomfield 

• 1. Re: Is this a bug?  Or a "feature"?
          TSGal

mattb:

Thank you for your post.

This is as designed.  If you close the window, the application would quit.  If you have a script to Close Window, then it will also quit unless other windows are open.  You may want to put a "Close Window" button on each window that is not off the main table.  That way, someone may not quit accidentally.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Is this a bug?  Or a "feature"?
            mattb

TSGal:

>Thank you for your post.

>

>This is as designed.  If you close the window, the application would quit.  If you have a script to Close Window, then it will also quit unless other

>windows are open.  You may want to put a "Close Window" button on each window that is not off the main table.  That way, someone may not

>quit accidentally.

Hello again.  I'm rebuilding an existing Visual Foxpro application in FMP and over there in VFP-land, they allow close buttons in their compiled apps.  I

notice that the Windows version of FMP compiles have the same behavior. 

In my VFP app, clicking the close button on the main window does indeed close the application, which is the intended purpose. As it is, I've already

started to insert FMP close buttons on windows in place of the inactive system close button.  This app potentially can have over 100 windows open

at the same time (though most users might opt for 5 or 10 in regular usage).  That's a lot of buttons to put in when the system close button is sitting

there staring at me in its dimmed-out state!

So maybe there's a difference in "user-interface-philosophy" here:  I want a close button on the main window to shut down the app and I

especially want the system close buttons on unrelated windows to shut themselves down when clicked, but not shut down the app.

Are you saying theoretically if the close button were allowed to be active on unrelated windows, clicking on it whould shut the whole app down,

and that's the reason it's been decided to render them inactive?  Just trying to understand...

Matt Bloomfield

• 3. Re: Is this a bug?  Or a "feature"?
              philmodjunk

I too don't understand while Filemaker disables the close button on run time windows. It seems like we the developers should have the option to enable/disable this using custom menus, but...

" I notice that the Windows version of FMP compiles have the same behavior. "

Much as I would wish otherwise, runtime version of FMP do not allow you to close a window by clicking the close button in the window corner. This leaves a rather unprofessional interface when we use New Window to pop up a floating child window and the very visible close button won't actually close the window. It also forces me to change my layouts when I want to create a run time version of the file to distribute for demo purposes.

• 4. Re: Is this a bug?  Or a "feature"?
                TSGal

mattb and PhilModJunk:

Excellent comments, and since this is categorized as a design issue, I encourage you to enter your reasonings into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Yes, I could copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are some other questions asked that only you can answer.

When entering the suggestion, please just don't say "Add this feature" or "Change this feature".  Explain what you are trying to do, how it is affecting your business/productivity/efficiency/etc., and provide an example.  I have noticed that the people who read these suggestions (Product Management and Development) tend to pay more attention to these types of posts.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.