Summary

issue with converting to Excel

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 98

Description of the issue

Hi, my husband created a very efficient database for my library at work using Filemaker Pro.  In the past I have been able to convert the Filemaker Pro database to Excel using .xls and a database name. In the past week I have tried to convert the database to Excel, and have gotten jibberish.  What should I do?  Is there anyone who could convert the database for me if I send the database to them on a CD-Rom?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open the Database
      Click on "save as"
      change name of file to .xls format

Expected result

database is not in the same format, but usable, can be read by novice computer persons

Actual result

jibberish

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

not in the expected format, choose format in the list below

Configuration information

older computer and software, but has been working until now

Workaround

none

• 1. Re: issue with converting to Excel
          user15307

Betty Johnson,

Thank you for posting.

I don't have access right now to the versions you are using, but perhaps if we clarify the issue, we can narrow down the cause.

You've been able to do this before, so I trust that you are using the very same steps you were when you last exported successfully (checking the file type in the "save as" panel, for example).

One concern is the condition of your original data. If you have a backup copy of the file, you may want to try your export from that.

Create a new database file in FileMaker with a few test records, and create the Excel file from that.  If the test file opens in Excel without an error, it's a good indication there is a problem with your original file.

You can copy the FileMaker Pro file and try opening it on another computer, but if you don't have access to another machine on which you can install the older version, that won't be an option.  The conversion of the solution to a newer FileMaker Pro version is also something to consider.  There are FileMaker Knowledge Base articles on file conversion to help, which you can find at these links: 

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/695

With some additional details, we may be able to narrow down the cause of this issue.

Thank you,

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.