IWP cannot handle several portals

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM11v2

Operating system version

Windows XP 2007

Description of the issue

Linking of several portals in one page will cause IPW to loop indefinitely. This is A VERY SERIOUS ISSUE.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Created a simple file consisting of two tables. Using the first table to link several portals on the second page. This is workin fine in FM bu accessing the same page in IWP and trying to edit the record will cause a locking of the server (or FM11 client if in localhost mode).

Expected result

Normal editing of the portal

Actual result

Locking of the system, totally. If server the whole server has to be re-booted.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages

• 1. Re: IWP cannot handle several portals
          TSGal

Borje Fagelko:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Windows XP SP3.  I have three portals into a second table.  How many portals do you have into the second table?  Do you have a file I can test?  If so, please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

Any other information you can provide to help me replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: IWP cannot handle several portals
            BorjeFagelko

Actually I gor a work around from Filemaker already. The problem is really strange. It is not the number of portals it is the alignment of the fields in the portal which creates the problem. I have a radio button field in which I selected from a value list. If this is not in line with the text field this bug will happen. It has been tsted on both Macs and Windows machines and it is not related to the server as it can be replicated in Local host mode as well.

This is definitely a bug which should be corrected.

• 3. Re: IWP cannot handle several portals
              philmodjunk

Can you describe this in greater detail so others can know if they are dealing with the same issue?

• 4. Re: IWP cannot handle several portals
                BorjeFagelko

As described in the previous comment, it is a matter of keeping fields absolutely aligned in a portal if you use IWP.

Probably this is the case only if you use a check box or radio button field with linked value list. This was confirmed from Filemaker, here their reply:

"

> I was able to confirm what you were seeing, and shared the test files

> with QA.  They were able to narrow this down to layouts containing

> portals from 2 self-joined tables, and suggest the following workarounds:

>

> 1. Align the fields in the portal row within a single line

>

> -or-

>

> 2.  Keep the fields in a single row inside portal row and move any

> extra fields outside the portal"

• 5. Re: IWP cannot handle several portals
                  BorjeFagelko

The workaround did work but I do not understand the statement about sel-joined tables, I did not have such in my simple file.