1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 5:02 PM by philmodjunk

IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

rvarghes

Summary

IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

Portal records are not visible when record restrictions are added to the user account.  The records are visible in the portal if viewed in the FMP environment but not in an IWP format.  If the record restrictions are removed the portal functions as expected.  Scripts are all triggered by user actions and are all IWP compatible.  The security restrictions appear to not be functioning as expected.  Spent the morning in the Forum without resolving the issue.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Posted the issue to the forum and worked with  PhilModJunk to go over my set-up to see if I had missed something.  We were unable to determine why my approach is not working.

Expected result

Portal should show records in IWP mode with security features set to limit record access.  I'm using variable to set the value for the restrictions.  The variable is being set correctly however the restriction is preventing the portal from showing it's contents but the TO is working fine when viewed in another layout.  Layout security is set to view only without further restrictions.

Actual result

Portal does not show records in IWP mode.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message just empty portal

Configuration information

http://forums.filemaker.com/people/555110f537/comments

Above is the link to the discussion I had with the moderator in the FMP forum.  Please let me know when you have time to address this issue.  Thank you.

Workaround

Just to use filters but this is not restricting access if someone is able to get around the filters.  All menus are disabled if the account access the database so the show all button is not visible.  I found that only using the filters would allow someone to press show all the all records could be viewed.  Not good for my application.
      View the issue - have turned back on Record level restrictions for the Student portal of the Family summary
      http://fmp.triple8.net/?FMlogin=mb15k2701SHxae8swA7jyZmC
      login robvargus pss  test

Results.jpg

• 1. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

Robin Varghese:

Thank you for your post.

If you are willing, I would like to take a look at your file or an equivalent sample. Check your inbox at the top of this page for instructions on how to submit your file.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

Robin Varghese:

Thank you for sending the test file.

I am not able to duplicate with the test account provided. Both windows look identical when tested in FileMaker Pro 12.0v3 connecting to FileMaker Server 12.0v3 Advanced or when accessed through a web browser. Safari was tested locally on Mac OS X 10.7.5 and IE9 was tested externally on Windows 7. Both show all the fields in the portal. Please see the screenshot below.

Any thoughts on what we could be missing to replicate?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.
              rvarghes

I just sent another copy of the database -  Looks like I had not included the record level restriction in the file I had sent you.  I retested the one I am sending and it still occurs in that version of the database.

Thank you and sorry for the mix-up.

• 4. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

Robin Varghese:

Thank you for the new file.

I am still not able to duplicate by signing into any account in the database. I logged in once with each account, including the parents login mentioned when the new file was sent. To be able to do to perform this test, I removed all the account passwords, but changed no other security or privilege settings. 

All portals populate for me whether using FileMaker Pro 12 or Instant Web Publishing on either Windows 7 (IE9) and Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Safari), regardless of the account used.

Could you provide step-by-step instructions and the specific set of actions that reproduce this on your end? 

Do you experience this behavior from more than one computer?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.
                  rvarghes

Hello, I'm going to be away for 12 days.  I would like to provide you with access to my hosting service and the CWP link I'm sending to those testing the database.

http://fmp.triple8.net/?FMlogin=mb15k2701SHxae8swA7jyZmC

Access to the database is via the following settings.

Goto: File/Open Remote.. then select Favorite Hosts and click Add...
                       Enter the name of the FileMaker server you previously set up and Save. The name of your FileMaker server will be "FM34.triple8.net"

Now, select the FileMaker server in the Hosts Pane on the left and wait a few seconds. You should get a dialog asking for a username and password. Enter your user/pass and you should then be able to connect to your databases.

The database is set to by-pass the user/password screen and go directly to the user interface using the Parent login.  Holding the SHIFT key down on my PC allows me access to the primary login screen where Admin - Testing are the login details.  It's very odd that you don't see the same issue. 

When using the CWP you can use my login robvargus  / test to see that the Student field is blank but when I access using FMP directly I can see the portal contents of the Family_student TO in the Family Summary Layout.  Thanks for your continued help.

Robin. - Talk with you in 12 days.

• 6. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.
                    rvarghes

I'm back from my trip and have access to help identify the issue with the portal behavior in IWP.  I will be online today so I can respond quickly to help you visualize what I see on my side.   If record level restriction for the parent level account is turned on to restrict access to student records when kf_familyID=$$familyID then the student records are not visable in the portal window.

The CWP link for my database is http://fmp.triple8.net/?FMlogin=mb15k2701SHxae8swA7jyZmC  - Login with my parent account - robvargus pswd test.

Thank you for your continued help.

• 7. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

Robin Varghese:

Thank you for the update.

When I test the database hosted at that link, I get the same results as you; however, when I hosted the database on my FileMaker Server locally, I was able to see the portal records.

Since I cannot replicate even using the same file hosted from my workstation, would you agree then this seems to indicate an environmental issue on the host? Do you want to try to send the newest copy of the file for me to test again?

If you have the hosting company perform the same test I tried locally, then do they experience the same issue?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

Robin Varghese:

I was finally able to replicate. 

If I pass the first login to the Parents account instead of the Admin, then this occurs after logging in with your test account.

You are correct that the security setting is the cause of this because if you change the Parents custom privilege set to ALL instead of "limited" based on "kf_familyID=$$familyID" then the records will display.

This seems to indicate that the variable is not being set properly when the script runs through Instant Web Publishing; however, I checked and all the scripts steps being used are compatible when used in Instant Web Publishing. The script is also set to run with full access.

I am currently attempting to put a sample file together that limits what Students the Parents account will see based on a variable set by a script (the record's foreign key field set to the primary key of the Parents). I will update you with the results.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

Robin Varghese:

Thank you for the assistance with narrowing this down. 

I sent a sample file to you. Please let me know if this provides an acceptable workaround. I will forward a sample file using the other method to Testing and Development for review.  

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.
                            rvarghes

Thank you for the sample file.  I will implement your workaround.  Is this the type of thing that will be addressed in an update to the software down the road? 

I will test out your solution and confirm that it is working on my end.  Best regards and thanks again.

Robin.

• 11. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

Robin Varghese:

Thank you for reply. 

No additional information is available at this time. Testing and Development is reviewing your original file. When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.
                                philmodjunk

TSFalcon,

Kudos for going the extra mile in nailing this one down! Can you summarize the key points here as to what issue was ultimately at the root of it?

I'd like to include that data in the Known Bugs List Database record when I write this one up.

Right now, not having a good look at the actual file, I'm not clear on what exact combination of issues you are working around to resolve the issue. Such info would help others to confirm that they have encountered the same issue and to then be able to work around it.

• 13. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply. I will do my best to clarify. 

If using a custom privilege set to restrict account level record access to a related table's information in a portal by setting a global variable so that the requirement for View/Edit/Create/Delete access is  "limited…" and the limitation is "Parent_FK_field = $$globalVariable," then a portal will fail to populate the appropriate records. 

The portal does not populate the Children belonging to the Parent through Instant Web Publishing but will populate through FileMaker Pro 12. This occurs if first logged in to the account with the custom privilege set, and then the end user logs into a "sub-account" based on the login credentials of user name and password.

The work around was to create an additional global field to set to the primary key of the parent, instead of setting a global variable to the primary key of the parent. The browser appears to be able to pull the primary key from a Global Field in the FileMaker database (but not from a Global Variable).

The workaround was to limit the View access by swapping the use of $$globalVariable in FkParent = $$globalVariable to FKParent = Table::GlobalFieldPK" and then the browser will display the correct associated records for the Parents --- Children (portal). 

Thank you again for all the work you do and please let me know if I should further clarify. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: IWP portal not visable when record restrictions are in place but work fine in FMP environment.
                                    philmodjunk

Excellent!

This report has been added to the Known Bugs List. Please check out the summary entry and post back here or send me a private message if you'd like me to change what I've posted. Keep in mind that a link in the thread and the database will take the user here for TSFalcons very complete discription of the issue and how to work around it.

http://forums.filemaker.com/comment/238033

1 2 Previous Next