1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 12:49 PM by HopeD

Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker

yh

Summary

Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker

Description of the issue

After updating JRE to 1.6.0_18 Filemaker 9.0v3 Adv does not start. Running Windows XP Pro. Anybody else is having similar problem?  Downgrading JRE to 1.6.0_17 solved the problem 

• 1. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
          mrvodka

This is an issue with the new Java update ( Java 1.6.0_18 ) which have been confirmed by other developers that it affects 10, 9, 8. Most likely 7 and 8.5 as well but not tested.

One has to roll back the Java version.

• 2. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
            mrvodka

Why is not a knowledge base article yet???

• 3. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
              MartinBrändle

As far as I have understood it's more a plugin issue (plugins from 360Works). Others have reported normal operation with FM 10v3.

• 4. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                mrvodka

Hi Martin.

I am not sure. Although it definitely does affect the plugins. Other have reported on TechNet that it has affected them as well. We need FileMaker to confirm is this is truely an issue or with just plugins installed. 

• 5. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                  TSGal

yh and mr_vodka:

Thank you for your posts.

Although neither myself nor other users here in Technical Support are able to replicate the problem with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10), I have forwarded this information, along with several TechNet links, to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) for review and confirmation.

A Knowledge Base Article has been suggested. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                    HopeD

I can confirm it happens with FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0v2 (05-27-2009) on Windows 2008 Enterprise Server with IIS7 (7.0.6000.16386).

Running Java Version 6 Update 18 (build 1.6.0_18-b07)

These appear in the App Event Log: 

Faulting application fmadminserver.exe, version 6.0.0.105, time stamp 0x456d4acc, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03821, exception code 0x80000003, fault offset 0x00048b2e, process id 0xa88, application start time 0x01cad820eaa38cb6.

Faulting application fmscwpe.exe, version 6.0.0.105, time stamp 0x456d4acc, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03821, exception code 0x80000003, fault offset 0x00048b2e, process id 0xac0, application start time 0x01cad820eadf258c.

The Java installation within the Filemaker Server install is 1.6.0-b105:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Common\Java\bin>java -version

java version "1.6.0"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)

• 7. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                      TSGal

Hope D:

Thank you for your post and the information.  I have attached it to the original issue.

At this time, Testing has been unable to replicate the issue.  Hopefully, your information will help.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

(Edited: I originally said Testing was able to replicate the issue.  I definitely meant UNable).

• 8. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                        hschlossberg

I can confirm that after this update I was unable to open either FM 10 or 11.  For me (Windows XP for FM10 and Windows 7 for FM11), I was able to resolve it by disabling the 360Works JDBC plugin, and it also worked after installing the latest version of the plugin (dated 3/8/10).  The same may also apply to any other plugins that use Java.

• 9. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                          HopeD

Hi TSGal, thanks. Is there any other information I can provide you with to help you with testing? And to confirm, you've tested with Windows 2008 Enterprise Server and Filemaker 10? 

• 10. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                            HopeD

Hi HowardS, thanks - can you give info on how you disabled that plugin? I haven't seen it either in the Java system control panel, or in the IE Options applet.

I verified that I am running the latest version of Java by running Java update. In the Java control panel "JRE Settings" section, I saw the first 2 installations listed, and then added the Filemaker location as well. I have tried selectively disabling 2 of the 3 so as to run each one independently, but am still getting the errors and am looking at a reinstall at this point to hopefully fix it. :-/ 

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin>java -version
                            java version "1.6.0_18"
                            Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_18-b07)
                            Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode, sharing)

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin>java -version

java version "1.6.0_07"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Common\Java\bin>java -version

java version "1.6.0"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)

[edited to remove a duplicate copy of java details]

• 11. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                              mrvodka

In FileMaker, go to Edit --> Preferences --> Plugins

Disable all the 360 Works or any other Java plugins that you may have.

Also as an FYI 360Works has new updates which address the Java issue which can be downloaded from their site.

• 12. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                                HopeD

Is this something one does in Filemaker Pro, or in the Server Admin Console? I can't actually open the Server Admin Console because of the java issue. :-/ 

Thanks for the tip re: 360 Works - I don't even know that we have it enabled, but I will see if I can download the updated version to fix the underlying Java issue.

• 13. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                                  hschlossberg

mr_vodka wrote:

In FileMaker, go to Edit --> Preferences --> Plugins

Disable all the 360 Works or any other Java plugins that you may have.

That, of course, relies on your being able to open FileMaker, which in my case was impossible.  I went into the Extensions folder in my FileMaker program file and changed the .FMX extension to .XXX.  This made it so that FIleMaker did not recognize the file type and so did not attempt to load it.  

• 14. Re: Java 1.6.0_18 prevents start up of Filemaker
                                    HopeD

Yeah, I couldn't open Filemaker Pro, either. Is the 360 Works plugin installed by default with Filemaker Server Advanced 10? I know I didn't install any external plugins. 

Is the extension in question C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\Extensions\xDBC.fmx?

1 2 Previous Next