Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server2008 R2 SP1 x64

Description of the issue

Hi,

This is a completely new virtual machine, installed from scratch yesterday. Completely up to date on Windows Updates, no antivirus yet, firewall disabled.
      I've uninstalled and reinstalled FileMaker (fresh install, no DB copied in) and IIS (with default options). I've upgraded Java to the latest V7, and also installed V8 on the off-chance it works (x32 and x64 versions).
      The Java Web Publishing Engine never manages to start, it always terminates abnormally.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Java Web Publishing Engine process has terminated abnormally.

Configuration information

Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64 VM. 4GB RAM. 50GB HDD.

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64

Mike Johnson:

Thank you for the post.

I am not able to reproduce when testing with our Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bit) lab computer with FileMaker Server 13.0v2 and Java 7 update 60. All the Web Publishing technology tests (Custom Web Publishing and WebDirect) are working.

"also installed V8 on the off-chance it works (x32 and x64 versions)"

First step would be to remove all versions of Java 8 as these are not yet tested. Afterwards, delete the Java cache and restart the computer. 

Next step would be to make sure both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java 7 update 60 are installed. 

If after these steps the issue persists, then uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Server 13.0v2 with the full installer.

Lastly, is this Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition or some other flavor of the operating system?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64
            MikeJohnson

Hi,

I uninstalled all Java versions and manually deleted any left-over Java folder in Program Files. I reinstalled V7 u60 32 and 64 bit. I reinstalled FileMaker Server, and rebooted the server inbetween every stage I just mentioned. It still doesn't work, with the error "Java Web Publishing Engine process has terminated abnormally".

It's actually running on Windows Server 2008 R2 DataCenter SP1.

What's the next step?

Cheers,

Mike

• 3. Re: Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64
              MikeJohnson

I forgot to mention I also cleared the Java cache too..

Cheers,

• 4. Re: Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64

Mike Johnson:

Thank you for the reply.

"Windows Server 2008 R2 DataCenter SP1"

The next step would be to move to a tested operating system. The DataCenter flavor was never tested to work. 

System Requirements for FileMaker Server 13

Could we move the installation to Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard or one of the operating systems in the list below to see if this resolves the issue?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64
                  MikeJohnson

Hi,

That's going to be very disappointing if that's the answer. You haven't exactly specified which flavours of server 2008 r2, so I took it to mean all of them.

We've either got DataCenter for our VMs and hosts, or one 2008 r2 Standard, but it's running a number of websites, and FileMaker's going to kill those unless I can change FileMakers' default website ports.

I'm going to try installing the trial software and see if that behaves any better on it.

Mike

• 6. Re: Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64

Mike Johnson:

Thank you for the reply.

We have updated the article to read "Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)," so that others don’t arrive at the same conclusion going forward. If a specific flavor is not listed then we mean "Standard Edition."

Please note that regular client operating systems were also tested and a "Server" operating system is not required for FileMaker Server 13.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64
                      MikeJohnson

Hi,

I tried the trial version and that said the same thing, the publishing engine fails to start.

I find it hard to believe that DataCenter is so functionally different to Standard that it prevents any software working. I'm also disappointed that the recommendation appears to be to run "server" software on a desktop PC. That seems very backwards to me.

Is there any chance I can at least get someone to remote connect to the server with me (TeamViewer?) and have a look?

Cheers,

Mike

• 8. Re: Java Web Publishing Engine Not Starting. Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64

Mike Johnson:

Thank you for the reply.

Technical support will do everything we can to assist with installation; however, please note that part of the Standard Support Checklist for Installation includes "That system requirements for the application being installed are met."

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. There is never a charge for installation.

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.