5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 8:21 AM by TSGal

Just Upgraded from FileMaker 5 to FileMaker 10 and running into problems

Savvyc77

Summary

Just Upgraded from FileMaker 5 to FileMaker 10 and running into problems

Description of the issue

We recently did a company wide upgrade from FileMaker Server 5.5 to FileMaker Server 10, and each workstation now has FileMaker 10, which previously had FileMaker 5, 5.5 or 6.When we first got FileMaker, someone created a database for us, which has worked great for years.  However, lately, and only on a few work stations, we run into an issue in creating invoices.  We have three databases, Inventory, Customer and Invoice.  When creating an invoice, FileMaker will take the inventory number and automatically populate the invoice with the information, as well as taking the customer information from the customer number.  But on a few work stations, that does not happen.  We all pull from the same database, so we find it strange that this is only happening with a few workstations.  For those with the issue, they end up having to close out FileMaker and restart, to only have it work for a few more invoices, then the same happens again.Does anyone have any idea? Thanks!Carrie 

• 1. Re: Just Upgraded from FileMaker 5 to FileMaker 10 and running into problems
          mrvodka
             Was a proper migration done or just upgraded with converted files?
          • 2. Re: Just Upgraded from FileMaker 5 to FileMaker 10 and running into problems
            Savvyc77

Yes it was.  Everything seemed to work ok.  We have 10 workstations with FileMaker 10, but only 4 are not working properly. 

Filemaker suggested a few fixes saying that maybe the file was corrupt - I tried a couple - but they didn't work.  I find it hard that the file would be corrupt when the rest of us are working properly. 

I checked the relationships for the fields and all are set up fine.  This one boggles my mind! 

I'm not very advanced with FileMaker either - I've just learned from watching developers that we have had in the office.

• 3. Re: Just Upgraded from FileMaker 5 to FileMaker 10 and running into problems
              Savvyc77
                 Sorry didn't answer the question - it was upgraded with converted files.
              • 4. Re: Just Upgraded from FileMaker 5 to FileMaker 10 and running into problems
                philmodjunk
                   Sounds like you still have a collection of files where each has a single table. That means you have a lot of external file references. Now I can't figure out a way for problems with external file references to work only part of the time, but I suggest opening each file and using Manage | External Data Sources... to examine each such reference. Chances are good that you'll find a whole lot of less than optimum file references here. It's a good idea to review and edit each and every such reference to clean out spurious file references anyway and you might just get lucky and fix the problem. (Make a back up copy of each file before meddling with these references.)
                • 5. Re: Just Upgraded from FileMaker 5 to FileMaker 10 and running into problems
                  TSGal

Savvyc77:

Thank you for your posts.

If this works for six of the ten workstations, but not four, is there anything about those four workstations that is different from the other six?  That is, are those four running Windows and the others running Macs?  Are the operating systems the same on each machine, along with the version of the OS?

I know you mentioned that they were all entering invoices, but are the four problem workstations using FileMaker Pro differently than the other six?  For example, are the four workstations in one department and accessing different files than the other six workstations that may be in different departments?  That is, besides invoices, would the other four workstations perform any other tasks with FileMaker than those on the six working workstations?  

Are the four problem workstations in the same area separated from the other six?  If you physically switch a problem workstation with a working workstation, does the problem stay with the computer?  I'm trying to determine if the network location is a factor.

Any other information you can provide about the differences in the machines, no matter how minute, may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.