Key field data missing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

ADV 13

Operating system version

Win 7 64 bit

Description of the issue

If I sort a table using ItemID as the keyfield and export the data to a .tab file, the first record of the of the ItemID includes the ItemID data and the rest of the records with the same ItemID are exported with empty ItemID fields.  If I remove the sort then export the data all fields are filled.

The issue is that once the data is imported into another program I'm no longer able to sort using the ItemID as one of the sort fields because many of them are blank.

If I export the file sorted on the ItemID and include the InvoiceID as a field, if the recipient uses Excel and wants to sort by InvoiceID, many of the ItemID will show as blank.

Steps to reproduce the problem

In a script take a table with multiple records containing the same data in one of the fields.  Sort on that field and export as a .tab file.

Expected result

Exported sorted table to .tab file to have all fields contain the data that's in them.

Actual result

Exported sorted table to .tab file only has the data contained in the keyfield in the first record and the rest of the records in the sorted order have a blank keyfield

Configuration information

None

Workaround

don't export sorted table data, export unsorted data and do the sorts in another program

FMP_Export_Issue.jpg

• 1. Re: Key field data missing
          philmodjunk

The only way that sorting should have any affect on the exported data other than the order of the rows of data produced is if you are using an export method that allows you to specify the "group by" option. Have you specified that option?

Is it at all possible that some of your records have an empty ID field? If you enter find mode, specify an = sign in the ID field and perform a find, what results do you get?

Are all the fields shown from the same table or do some come from a related table?

• 2. Re: Key field data missing
            GaryJohansen

Well once again you are spot on Phil,

I went back in and the data was grouped, but I don't remember doing it, but removing the grouping restored the data in all the fields.

Thanx again for your insights