Landscape Printing with Format For set to Any Printer

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Mac 10.8.5

Description of the issue

When printing a layout set up for Landscape with Page Setup --> Format For --> Any Printer the left edge of the printing gets cuts off, about 1/4 inch.  Setting the Format For to your specific printer or printing in Portrait will not show this issue.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) Created a new database in FM 13.
      2) On the layout create one line of text (I used 1234567890) place at location 0 , 0.
      3) Go to Browse.
      4) Create a record.
      5) Page setup Portrait 100%.
      6) Print to Preview.
      7) Page setup Landscape 100%.
      8) Print to Preview.
      9) Page setup select Format For the printer you are going to print to.
      10) Print to Preview.

Workaround

Use script steps to force the page setup "Format For" to the printer most likely to be used when setting up the layout to be printed.

printing.png

• 1. Re: Landscape Printing with Format For set to Any Printer
          TSGal

Larry Omans:

Thank you for your post.

Following your steps, I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 under Mac OS X 10.8.5, Mac OS X 10.9.4, and Windows 7.  My Paper Size is set to "US Letter" in all cases.  The printer I selected is a Hewlett-Packard P3005.

What Paper Size and printer are you using?  Do you have the latest updated printer driver from the manufacturer?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Landscape Printing with Format For set to Any Printer
            LarryOmans

In the Page Setup, paper size is US Letter, the Page Setup --> Format For set to Any Printer seems to be the key.  I have tried this on several different Mac computers, with different printers (HP P3015's, Toshiba 5540c, Ricoh SP6330N, Xerox 255).  All have up to date drivers.

The file prints perfectly if you have Page Setup --> Format For set to the selected printer, it only cuts off if the Page Setup --> Format For is set to "Any Printer".  I would be happy to email you the test file I created in FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v3 if you think the file may be the issue.

Attached is a screen shot of the Page Setup used to generate the error.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Landscape Printing with Format For set to Any Printer
              RickWhitelaw

I've found that certain printers work as expected, but not others. As well, the "Format For" setting in Print Setup can't be set by calculation, which forces us to hard code a given printer. Not good. Apart from this snag, it's possible to completely automate printing to multiple printers.

• 4. Re: Landscape Printing with Format For set to Any Printer
                TSGal

Larry Omans:

Since I'm unable to replicate the issue, send in your file so I can try it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Landscape Printing with Format For set to Any Printer
                  TSGal

Larry Omans:

I received your file.  Thank you.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to replicate the issue.  When I first opened the file, it was already set to Any Printer and Landscape orientation, and Preview displays perfectly.  I then switched to Portrait and Any Printer, Portrait and specific printer, Landscape and specific printer, and back to Landscape and Any Printer, and Preview always displays properly. Besides Mac OS X 10.8.5, I also performed the same steps under Mac OS X 10.9.4 and Windows 7.

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, temporarily disable the plug-ins and see if the issue still exists.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Landscape Printing with Format For set to Any Printer
                    LarryOmans

After pulling all my plug-ins out, it did print correctly.  So the issue is one or more of the plug-ins.  Thank you for the help.