Layout drag does not work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 advance

Operating system version

Lion 10.7.3

Description of the issue

selected objects (any) in layout mode will move with arrow keys but not with drag. This has been reported erratically by others without duplication at Filemaker, at least that I can see.

However it does happen. I first noticed it, whether related or not, after installing Lion on MacBook Air Late 2010. It happens with FMP Advanced 11.04 and 11.02. The problem persisted with a fresh install of FMP Advance 11.02 on a MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.3.

It does not occur on either machine with FMP Advanced 10.

On my Macbook Air I tried turning off Universal Access and fiddling with the track pad options, to no avail.

I can drag objects in other programs like Eazydraw.

So it seems not a hardware defect, and related to some interaction of Lion and FMP 11.02-11.04 or some other interfering program on both of my computers. I can't imagine what that would be.
      I am suspicious of some intrinsic to FMP 11 that is vulnerable to some edge case.

Suggestions??

Steps to reproduce the problem

In layout mode, select and drag an object

Expected result

the object will move and stay in the new location

Actual result

the object 'shadow' moves but the object bounces back to origin on release of drag

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Configuration information

FMP Advanced 11.02, 11.04 on Lion 10.7.3, on MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

Workaround

Use FMP Advanced 10 instead

• 1. Re: Layout drag does not work
          philmodjunk

This issue is currently being investigated in this thread: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work

FileMaker Inc. is aware of the issue and have had partial success in replicating the issue but they are still trying to figure out why some Mac systems with Lion installed exhibit this problem and others do not.

• 2. Re: Layout drag does not work
            user15307

Dennis Morgan,

Thank you for posting.

As PhilModJunk (thank you) notes, this is a particularly confounding issue.  Perhaps some additional details about your systems will help us pin down the cause.

Please review your installed programs for any extensions or plugins; make a list of any you find.

Have you used any external input devices at all (drawing tablet, external mouse or trackball, USB security fob?).

Any software that re-maps key shortcuts, or captures/sends messages between programs?

Any OS-command line utilities?

Anything you can add to the list of details may help us narrow down the possible cause.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Layout drag does not work
              iDEViate

*edit I overlooked that TSTuatara had noted what I previously wrote.

Have you ran recovery on the file to see if any corruption exists? 

Can you smart drag? Start to drag the object and hold the shift key. This is used to keep objects in line as you drag them.