Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS-X 10.9.1

Description of the issue

On my MacBook Pro, I have noticed that from time to time, in FileMaker Advanced 13, the keyboard shortcut for Layout Mode disappears.

The menu command for Layout mode still works.  The toggle in the lower left corner of the window still works.  Only the keyboard shortcut is disabled, and the symbol for it in the View menu is also gone.  This happens in a Starter Solution where there are no custom menus.

Not sure what makes this happen.  But if I quit the application and restart it, the menu command with the keyboard shortcut re-appears.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Sit next to me for a few hours.

Expected result

typing command-L will enter layout mode,

Actual result

It doesn't.

Workaround

reboot FMA-13

Screen_Shot_2014-01-28_at_12.02.36_PM.png

• 1. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
          TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Thank you for your post.

Several of the Starter Solutions have custom menus installed, but I don't recall any of them disabling the keyboard shortcut for Layout Mode.  Which Starter Solution(s) were you using so I can verify?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
            dburnham

I was using the starter solution called Expense Reports.  There are no custom menus in the solution.  I don't know what caused the menu command to vanish suddenly, but when I quit FMA and restarted, it re-appeared.

• 3. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
              TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Thanks for the additional information.  I needed to check the Expense Reports starter solution for verification.  Since that isn't the cause, let me know what other applications are running.  For some reason, the keyboard shortcut has been compromised.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                dburnham

I can't tell you what other applications were running yesterday when I experienced this problem while working at a local restaurant on their WiFi network.  I think it is possible that while I had the Starter Solution open, I connected to another database of my own in order to import two custom functions.  It is possible that in that other file, there was a custom menu which had Layout Mode removed.  I say this more as a wild guess than anything definite because I can't recall ever having removed layout mode from a custom menu, but I do recall experiencing the same problem once or twice before, so maybe there is a custom menu somewhere in one of my solutions that triggers this behavior.

But, even if that were found to be true, I would expect that upon closing that file, FileMaker's menus would be restored to use whatever is present in the current database.  Most of the time, that is the case.  If you change the current window, the menus adjust accordingly.

However, there are two related issues that might be worth mentioning to you.

1.           I have found that when exiting some things, such as Manage Database, FileMaker does not preserve the current window of the database in which you were working.  Thus, I find that if I have more than one database open and I go directly from Manage Database to Layout Mode without first clicking on the window that I want to be switched to layout mode, a different window than the one I expect becomes the current window.  I am not sure, but I think the current window becomes the one that was first opened.
                3.           In the Expense Report starter solution that was distributed with FIleMaker Pro 12, you will find that there is a script error.  I reported this yesterday to a different FM engineer.  In the script "Trigger | Create Expense [New Record]" you will find that the go-to-layout step for the iPhone is not going to the Details layout as it does with the iPad or Pro script steps.

Sorry if this is not a perfectly direct answer to your question, but I'm trying to be helpful.

• 5. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                  TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Thank you for the additional information.

If you close the file with another file open, and the other file is also missing the keyboard shortcut, then it is definitely FileMaker/System related, as the menu set for the other file should now be active.

Regarding your other two issues, the current window should not change after exiting Manage Database unless there is some script trigger associated with that window (OnLayoutEnter, OnRecordLoad, etc.).  Please keep an eye on this if you can notice when this occurs.

I notice in the Expense Report Starter Solution, the iPhone Report Details layout is not visible from the listing of Layouts in the Toolbar; only the "Report Overview.  Regardless, I see the confusion, and I have sent a request to our Development and Testing departments to review and suggest this be changed in a future release.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                    fmdataweb

I've also just encountered the issue of the shortcut for Layout Mode disappearing with FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v1 on Mac OS X 10.9.1.

Very strange - never seen this before. Closing the file and opening it does not restore the shortcut. I'm using an existing file, not a starter solution.

• 7. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                      dburnham

Steve, sorry to hear you had the same problem, but at least it confirms it is not just me.  Closing the file will not restore the menu command, but quitting FMP and re-launching it will.  At least, it did for me.

Dennis

• 8. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                        TSGal

stevej:

Thank you for your post.

From what I've mentioned in my earlier posts, are you using a solution that has custom menus?  If not, have you modified any of your system keyboard shortcuts?  Do you have any plug-ins installed?  Does this occur with a specific file?  Specific Layout?  The next time you notice the shortcut is missing, write down what you were doing just prior.  This may help narrow down the cause.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                          padje

Here I also have the same problem.  Closing and reopening filemaker solves the issue.  No issues in filemaker 12.  

OSX 10.9.1  FMP adv 13 and the latest update

• 10. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                            TSGal

Jan-Kris Vinken (et al):

Thank you for your post.

Although I am unable to reproduce, I have sent all descriptions to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                              TSGal

All:

Another customer with Mac OS X 10.9.1 also reported the problem, and noticed that it occurred after scrolling in Manage Database.  Can anyone confirm?

The only other factor "out of the ordinary" was that the customer was using a Magic Mouse.  Let me know what type of mouse each of you are using, or if you are using a trackpad.  We're still looking into possible causes so any little detail may be helpful.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                                Markus Schneider
                                     "out of the ordinary" - ouch... this device is only 4 years old and it's the current mouse of Apple. And You say that this is out of the ordinary...

And btw: Its for one more time absolutely impossible to write a posting in this forum with an iPad. After EVERY character, the keyboard disappears, one time even Safari crashed. I'm getting kind of nervous, writing this using another app and copying into FMI's forum-sw )-:
                                • 13. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                                  TSGal

markus schneider:

I am unable to replicate the problem with a MacBook Pro trackpad and iMac with a standard mouse connector, so the Magic Mouse was out of the ordinary for me.  I apologize for my choice of words and for any upset it may have caused.  I'm only trying to find possible factors that might contribute to the issue.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Layout Mode keyboard shortcut disappears
                                    Markus Schneider

Thank You for Your reply!

No problem - just, when You buy a Mac here (iMac), it comes with a Magic Mouse...

1 2 3 Previous Next