Layout objects not editable?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.03 & 12.04

Operating system version

10.6.8 and 10.8.3

Description of the issue

At times a layout object appears to be non-editable when it comes to text formatting options:  Font options are grayed out and non-responsive to clicks, text positioning (center, left, etc), font size, etc.  These controls, usually in just the formatting bar on the main layout (i.e. NOT in the Inspector) are grayed out and non-responsive.  This happens on text objects, fields, buttons, etc.  Similar to when certain types of objects are selected (e.g. graphics), the formatting bar stays grayed out, but it an object that SHOULD be editable.

Attached screen shot is of a simple text field that was selected.  Shows formatting bar as grayed out, and I attest that clicking the various button does nothing.  I clicked around a few times on other objects, came back to this one, no dice.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Don't have specifics, sorry.  It just crops up periodically.  Frequently enough that it is annoying.

Well, just came upon one.  Don't know if these steps are universal, but they were what was happening in this case:

Click in a blank header area.  Click on text object A:  object is non-editable.  Click on text object B, object IS editable.  Click back on object A, object IS editable.

Click in blank area of the header.  Click on Object B:  non-editable.  Click Object A: editable.  Click on Object B again: editable. 

Etc.  I could repeat that multiple times.

Expected result

Editable properties

Actual result

Non-editable properties

Workaround

Clicking around on other things, sometimes can use the Inspector instead of the bar (although I think that I have run into cases where even the Inspector is grayed out).  Again, not real sure, but I do get around it eventually.

Screen_Shot_2013-05-01_at_15.25.14_.png

• 1. Re: Layout objects not editable?
          Fred(CH)

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your post. I noticed the same problem and didn't report it because 1. couldn't replicate surely and 2. since 12.04 i've didn't encounter it anymore.

But what is very strange is that i noticed this issue rather recently, although 12.0v3 is not so recent. That brings me to wondering if it could be related to an external cause like system update or other...

Conclusion : i am a little disapointed because i really thought that it will no longer occurs with the 12.0v4. If i have more details i will come back here.

Thanks again, Fred

• 2. Re: Layout objects not editable?
            Fred(CH)

Mmmmmh : I GOT IT.

Steps : 

Layout mode, when designing a layout ...

Just click with the mouse OUT of the viewable area on the right (FMP 12's new feature).

Then, select an oject with editable text : you cannot modify text properties with textbar.

wink

Bye, Fred

• 3. Re: Layout objects not editable?

Justin Close and Fred:

Thank you for the posts. 

Fred's post was the key to replication. I am able to replicate this on Mac OS X. Windows does not appear to be affected. I forwarded a full report to Testing and Development for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Layout objects not editable?
                philmodjunk

Added to the Known Bugs List. Please post any questions/comments about the list entry here instead of in that thread.