8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 9:26 AM by TSGal

Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript

PaulTurnbull

Summary

Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 11.0v1, FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced 11.0v1Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.6.3, 10.6.4Detailed description of the issue:When FileMaker Pro 11 is launched using an Applescript layout objects do not update correctly.For example when you click into a field the field highlights but the cursor is not visible. If you type nothing appears to be happening. When you click out of the field it refreshes and the results of your keystrokes become visible.Similarly, in layout mode clicking on an object does not appear to select it even though it actually is selected. In the Relationship Graph, TO's can be selected but you if you are creating a new join by dragging between TOs then you can't see the join line until the drag is complete. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1. Create an Applescript that will launch FileMaker Pro. Examples:tell application "FileMaker Pro" activatetell application "FileMaker Pro" getUrl "fmp7://server-Address/served-filename2. If not already opened, open a FileMaker file, served or local.3. Click into a field and type.4. Enter layout mode and select object5. Enter the Relationships Graph and drag  between TOsExpected Result:Results of keystrokes, selections and drags should be immediately visible. Actual Result:Results of keystrokes, selections and drags are not immediately visible.Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/AAny workarounds that you have found:Open FileMaker Pro 11 manually through the Finder or Dock icon.

• 1. Re: Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript
          rmanook

Paul Turnbull:

Thanks for posting.

At this time, I am unable to reproduce the issue.  Let me know if I am missing any steps.

1.  I have FileMaker Pro Advanced 11v1 on Snow Leopard 10.6.3

2.  I created an applescript in Script Editor: 

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"

activate

end tell

3.  I ran the applescript in Script Editor

4.  FileMaker Pro Advanced launches

5.  I go to File > Open and choose a dummy file I previously created called test

6.  The layout defaults to Table View (although I have also tried it in Form View), I click into a field and begin typing

At this point all of the keystrokes are displayed as they normally would if I had opened the application through Finder or by double clicking a database.

Some variations in my testing:

-I used the getURL applescript command to open the FileMaker Server Advanced 11 FMServer_Sample file without issue

-Using the first script, I went through File > Open Remote and accessed the FMServer_Sample file instead of accessing a local database

-Instead of clicking into a field, I performed the steps from the beginning and then tried clicking on an object in Layout mode and then creating a relationship between two tables in my test file.

Are there differences in the test you have performed?

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript
            PaulTurnbull

Interesting. Those are pretty much the exact steps I've used. We've even tested on multiple machines here.

Here's a movie of our steps.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2277662/FileMaker_AS_Opener_Issue.mov

•   Model Name: Mac Pro
            •   Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
            •   Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
            •   Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
            •   Number Of Processors: 2
            •   Total Number Of Cores: 8
            •   L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
            •   L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
            •   Memory: 16 GB
            •   Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
            •   Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07
            •   SMC Version (system): 1.39f5
            •   SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5
            •   System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
            •   Kernel Version: Darwin 10.4.0
            •   Boot Mode: Normal
            •   Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
            •   64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

We do have a workaround now of replacing our AppleScript opener with a local FileMaker file that opens the served files and then closes itself. There was a reason in previous versions of FMP that we did not do this but I can't remember what it was and there do not appear to be any problems now. I'd still like to track down this one because it's very odd.

• 3. Re: Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript
              philmodjunk

If you are getting the same result with multiple machines and TSTurtle can't replicate the bug, you might try this with a new, small test file to see if there is a problem with the file itself. You could also test a recovered copy of the file (Test it even if it says no problems found.) If the recovered file works or recovery reports a problem, you should replace your file with an undamaged back up if at all possible.

• 4. Re: Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript
                PaulTurnbull

A new clean file with a single field was used in replicating the bug.

• 5. Re: Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript
                  PaulTurnbull

I'm going to assume you still can't replicate so I'll bring a demo of the problem with me to DevCon. :)

• 6. Re: Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript
                    TSGal

Paul Turnbull:

I have been working with TSturtle.  We have tried this on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Mac OS X 10.6.4, on different machines, using a Shared folder (like it appears in your video), and we are still unable to replicate the problem.  Although we will not be attending DevCon, please stop by the Technical Support booth.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript
                      PaulTurnbull

So the fine folks at FileMaker Support at DevCon and I managed to track it down.

Turns out we should all remember to turn off plug-ins as part of tracking down bugs. :)

The problem only appears with 360Works Difference Engine and CNS Menu installed at the same time. Either one alone is fine, it just happens with both installed.

Interestingly when I got back from DevCon I got reports of the problem occurring even without the AppleScript launcher but we've been unable to replicate. We also think some problems we've been having with the CNS Menu might be related as well. We're going to report the problems directly to the plug-in makers and work from there.

Thanks again to the FMI support staff who helped us out at DevCon!

• 8. Re: Layout Objects not updating when FMP11 launched with an Applescript
                        TSGal

Paul Turnbull:

Thanks for posting the solution.  I have also forwarded your post to the Support Technicians that attended the Developers Conference.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.