Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v5

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.10.2

Description of the issue

Layout parts do not retain their color settings. This pertains at least to Body parts and Portal Rows; it probably applies to other parts as well. This issue was apparently first reported in 2010 (http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/2487108738) and again in 2014 (http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/23a1b5aa77) but the problem, in this form, remains to this day.

Steps to reproduce the problem

In a new database, in layout mode, using the Grey Scale Slider, set the Body Part's fill color to Solid 50% grey. Click on another layout part, then back to the Body Part "bubble" to note the Body Part's fill color value in the Color Picker.

Another way to see the problem: set the Body fill to 50% Grey, then attempt to use the Color Picker's Eye Dropper to set the Body Part's fill color _to_itself_ by selecting the color just set: each dropper-click on the Body part alters the fill color.

Alternately, attempt to set alternate Portal Row colors (Primary, Alternate) to specific grey values. Immediately after setting the color, examine the color settings.

Expected result

Color value of layout parts should be the same as the value which was set.

Actual result

Color values are significantly different.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
          TSGal

Larry Goldman:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are still aware of this issue.  No new information is available at this time.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
            Fred(CH)

Hello there,

Is this issue limited to part fill ?

I ask because i have a similar issue with text color, trying to set a TSL color. For instance select a text object, set "other color", the floating system color picker display, choosing TSL colorimetry, setting parameter as : 210° - 40% 100%, close color picker, click outside the object, back to the object, text color, using color picker to check and values are set to 212° - 46% -100%.

My config : Mac OS X 10.8.5 - FileMaker 13.0v5.

Fred

• 3. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
              TSGal

Fred:

This is the same issue.  Although the color does not change, the representation of the color changes.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
                Fred(CH)

Thank you. If i understand correctly, is that meaning this unexpected change have no effect on final result, even when printing ?

If so, that's all right...

Fred

• 5. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
                  WardJohnson

Is this related to the newer versions of the OS? or the new hardware?

We have had this issue for a while now, and its showing up in FMP 10, 11, and 13. Trying to use the CMYK sliders to set 0,0,0,100 (or flat black) used to retain that color selection. At the time we had older machines and OS 10.4. Since then, we've had progressively more difficulty keeping this color in place. Now we are running 10.8 or 10.9 and none of our copies of FMP will retain the color setting. Instead, it converts it to 71, 74, 67, 81 (or rich black). It is important that we enforce flat black, because some of the layouts we use are for printing, with both color data and black data in a multiple page record, and the cost of printing in color is much higher on our machines.

Is FMP corrupting its own UI over time? Or perhaps corrupting the OS color control engine? Is Apple enforcing RGB or web safe color in the background?

Is there any sort of workaround that doesn't involve a lot of manual effort? Because my only option at this point is to make the records I want to print a PDF, then convert the black pages one by one in Adobe Acrobat.

• 6. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
                    TSGal

Ward Johnson:

This is a limitation of FileMaker always storing colors in RGB.  When taking the non-orthogonal CMYK values through RGB and back to CMYK, it is not possible to restore the original CMYK values.  Again, the actual color doesn't change; just the representation. FileMaker Pro 13 converts text, frame and fill color only as it saves to disk.  FileMaker Pro 14 converts to the more common colorspace immediately, so the user sees the actual results before saving.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
                      WardJohnson

I suspected that as a possibility, TSGal. Thanks for the reply.

That works just fine for most FMP projects, since they never leave a display. However, it means that FMP is not very useful in a production environment, where CMYK numbers are needed to get accurate color. Is there a plugin or third party tool that allows colors to be stored in CMYK or other colorspaces?

I also want to suggest that layouts have, as part of their properties, a default paper size for printing.

• 8. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
                        TSGal

Ward Johnson:

I am not aware of any plug-in or third-party tool, but one may exist.

I have submitted your feature request to have a Default Paper Size selection in the Layout Setup properties to our Development and Product Management teams.  For now, use an OnLayoutEnter script trigger to execute the script step Print Setup.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Layout Parts Do Not Retain Their Color Settings
                          TSGal

All:

This issue with the color settings has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.