Layouts cutoff when printing scaled layouts under Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v8 v9 v10

Operating system version

XP, Vista

Description of the issue

From reading the forums, and my experience, and seeing that this problems exists in any version of FileMaker and any version of Windows, but not in Mac OSX, it appears this problem still has not been resolved under Windows. Can you either provide me a fix, software update, or confirm that this is still an unresolved problem?

Under any Windows OS version, seemingly in any version of FileMaker Pro. Either manually, or in a script (doesn't matter which), it's impossible to print an entire layout scaled to less than 100% to any printer.

Is this a Windows issue, a print driver issue, or a FileMaker issue? Seems FileMaker would have access to Windows OS development info to access print drivers as they do on Mac OSX.

See also these related forum posts:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/5769e52e6f
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/d1a846d420
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/dbd5f4c7aa
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/b3ee59974c

Thanks, Brad Hughes.
      Vertis Communications
      bhughes@vertisinc.com

Steps to reproduce the problem

Under any Windows OS version, seemingly in any version of FileMaker Pro. Either manually, or in a script (doesn't matter which), scale a layout down to fit on 8.5 x 11 inch paper (portrait or landscape shouldn't matter). My solution scales reports down to around 70% to 80% usually, to make them fit on 8.5 x 11 paper. Scaling and printing works fine on a Mac.

On Windows, if scaling to 70% for instance, the left-most 70% part of the layout gets scaled down 70%, and the right-most part of the layout gets cut off. It prints the same way Preview mode shows the cut off layout before printing.

Under Windows, you can print the layout at 100% size on 11 x 17 inch paper and it comes out OK. But no way to print the same complete layout scaled down to smaller paper size.

Expected result

The entire layout scaled down to fit on 8.5 x 11 inch paper. Just as it comes out OK under Mac OSX, but not under Windows.

Actual result

Layout content gets cropped off on the right side. The cropping seems to occur at the equivalent distance from the left as the scaling would be. For instance, if scaling is set to 70%, then at 70% of the distance across the layout from the left, not only is the content cut off, but the content that shows up is scaled down. The 30% balance of the image/text/layout to the right is gone.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error appears. Windows or FileMaker thinks this is the way it's supposed to be.

Configuration information

Have tried multiple FileMaker versions (v8, v8.5, v9) and seen on the forums folks using FM v10 and v11 with the same result. Although I have a license for v11, I'm still running FM Server Adv v9 and have clients with v8.5, v9, and v10. Waiting for hardware and OS upgrades to be able to run FM v11.

Printers tried are heavy-duty workgroup printers. All support up to 11x17 inch paper, and under Windows have tried both PCL and Postscript print drivers. Several printer models have been tried: HP Laserjet 8100, HP Laserjet 9050, and Ricoh Aficio 8200. Same result regardless of print config.

I've played with countless printer config combinations within Windows and within FileMaker. I've tried printing manually and via my FileMaker scripts. Same result.

Workaround

None. Only way to get the entire contents of the layout to print under Windows is to print the layout at 100% to a larger paper size, like 11x17. This is very wasteful and inconvenient, and the resulting hardcopy won't fit in our Job Jackets without being folded.

win_prob02.jpg

• 1. Re: Layouts cutoff when printing scaled layouts under Windows
          philmodjunk
          Workaround:
          None. Only way to get the entire contents of the layout to print under Windows is to print the layout at 100% to a larger paper size, like 11x17. This is very wasteful and inconvenient, and the resulting hardcopy won't fit in our Job Jackets without being folded.

There IS another workaround and I'm sure it's mentioned in one or more of the links you posted and that's to make a copy of your layout and resize the objects on it to fit a smaller paper size. Granted, that's a bit of work to do and not near as convenient as scaling the layout during printing, but it will work. Wink
          • 2. Re: Layouts cutoff when printing scaled layouts under Windows
            TSGal

Brad Hughes:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this scaling issue when printing in Windows.  No other information is available at this time.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.