Summary

Leading whitespace in server report email subject line

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.10.4

Description of the issue

Not much of an issue, but I thought I should report it because it's just a little odd.

The subject line for Schedule Completed emails has a SPACE character as the first character. In other words, in FMS12 the subject line emails was:
      "FMServer Information 150 Schedule "Night V" completed."
      but FMS14 is sending:
      "  FMServer Information 150 Schedule "Night V" completed."
      (without quote marks).

Steps to reproduce the problem

Set up emailed reporting, and server does the rest.

Expected result

Expecting a subject line in the received email that is line from earlier versions of Server, without a leading space character.

Actual result

The subject line sent is the same as earlier versions EXCEPT it has a space character in front of the word FMServer.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

Visually ignore it, and reprogram mail software that parses subject lines for mail classification.

• 1. Re: Leading whitespace in server report email subject line
          TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for your post.

I have sent all information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Leading whitespace in server report email subject line
            TSGal

Troy Meyers:

One of our testers is unable to replicate the issue using both FileMaker Server 13 and FileMaker Server 14.  The tester viewed the default sent mail from Apple Mail, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Chrome.  The tester asked if you are using a variable for the Subject with custom schedules?  The best method in determining if spaces are in the Subject line is to dump the mail in raw format and then use a tool to view the Subject line item.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Leading whitespace in server report email subject line
              tcmeyers

TSGal,

No, I'm not using a variable. These are just garden-variety backup schedules created by the helper in FMS14.

As an offhand thought, it seems possible any of those mail clients would not display a leading whitespace.

I looked at the raw headers of both the FMS12-generated mail and FMS14-generated mail, and I can see what is causing it.

The subject portion of the FMS12-generated mail looks like this:

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?Rk1TZXJ2ZXIgSW5mb3JtYXRpb24gMTUwIFNjaGVkdWxlIEV2ZW5p?=

...which is just UTF-8 in Base64 encoding. Note that there is a single space between "Subject:" and the encoded subject string.

The raw headers from FMS14 has, instead of a space: a space, return, and another space before the encoded subject string. Since whitespace is invisible I've included a screen shot of the FMS14 subject header in "show invisibles" mode.

The problem would be solved for me if there was only a space, not 3 various "whitespace" characters in a row in the Subject header from FMS14.

Can your tester see these extras?

Troy

• 5. Re: Leading whitespace in server report email subject line
                TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for the additional information and screen shot.  I have sent this back to the tester for review.  I'll continue to keep you posted.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.