Summary

Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

10.8, 10.9, 10.10

Description of the issue

Left margin on printing is cut off after upgrading 13v1 to v3 or v4. Uninstalling v3 or v4 and installing back to v1 resolves the issue.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make a layout that prints edge to edge with 13v1. It should print normally. Upgrade to 13v3 and the left margin will get cut off.

Expected result

Prints all content

Actual result

Left margin is cut off

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

Downgrade to 13v1

• 1. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
          TSGal

Drew Sanderson:

Thank you for your post.

Using an HP LaserJet P3005 printer, I am unable to replicate the issue.  The margins print the same regardless of the version.

What printer are you using?

If you print to PDF using FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v4?  Do the two files look the same?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
            Markus Schneider

Same here..

I did not pay much attention to this - but after upgrading a customer solution from 11 to 13, the customer complained that the page margins are too small and landscape documents can't be printed.

I checked this out - it seems that the margins for 'All Printers' have been changed. I got one machine running 13.01 without problems (in this context), then, after upgrading to 13.04, I can reproduce the results: Page margins for 'All Printers' (page set up) are too small. When selecting my Xerox printer in the page setup dialog, everything is fine (as before with 'All Printers') - but under 13.01, the margins fir 'All Printers' were fine

All Mac's, 10.9.5

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
              Markus Schneider

Since I still can't edit a posting here on iPad, I have to add another posting:

Printers: Several brands, mostly laser, HP, Canon, Xerox

The problem is, when one is running several printer brands...one has to select 'All Printers' in the page setup - otherwise, one has to create separate scripts for every printer. Difficult, when users are working on different locations, not close together..

** Sorry for typing mistakes - but it's impossible to edit postings on iPad here

• 4. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                philmodjunk

But do these layouts have specific margins set in Layout Setup? or are you relying on FileMaker's interaction with the printer driver to position the printed output within the "printable area" that is different to each printer?

Given the difference is "print area" from one printer to another and from one printer driver to another (even for the same printer, sometimes), it's best to set some margins on the layout in layout setup in order to get more consistent output from a given layout used for printing.

(This post is more to suggest a work around than to suggest that there isn't an issue to be investigated here.)

• 5. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                  Markus Schneider

Thank's Phil!

We are aware of the workaround - but we did not think that we need to do that. My own database is not a problem - but the customer has several locations, there might be unknown printers.. It looks like in the old days where some printers had margins of about one inch at the bottom (right, when landscape)

It seems that something  changed - I first thought about an OSX patch a but there are clients without those patches

• 6. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                    Markus Schneider

Sometimes, it would be really helpfull to have a full client on iOS... - I had to go to my Office to check this:

- No page margins set, at least in my database, standard setting in the kayout options

• 7. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                      RickWhitelaw

Markus, I've posted in the past that the "format for" is the only part of print setup that at this point can't be addressed either by calculation or via CUPS and a shell script. This makes a universal automated print system just an inch or so from perfect. For most printers "format for any printer" works fine, but there are exceptions. This setting should be addressable programmatically. Shame on FMI.

• 8. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                        Markus Schneider

Thanks for Your answer, Rick!

Printing is a problem all over the years. I believe (can't remember) that it was better before V5

The puzzeling point here: Same printers, same FM solution (unchanged) - but update from 13.0x to 13.04..

• 9. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                          jsalzer

I've been recommending that my clients stay at FM12 because of this issue and was hoping that a solution would appear in an update.  I just updated from 13.0.5 to 13.0.9 and see that the problem is still there.  I also downloaded a demo of FileMaker 14 and see that the problem is still there.  Do we foresee this being fixed at any point in the near future?

• 10. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                            TSGal

JohnTheSquirrel:

Thank you for your post.

What printer are you using?  In Print Setup, are you specifying the specific printer or "Any printer"?  In Print, are you specifying the printer?  

What operating system and version of operating system is your computer running?

Can you post a screen shot of the printing differences between FileMaker Pro 12 and a later version?

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                              jsalzer

Hi, TSGal,

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows machine to test on at present, so I can only verify that this happens on the Mac side.  I use printing subscripts that are called depending on the user's operations system, with each being created on the appropriate OS (to avoid the extra hidden Print Setup information that carries into the Print script step when it is programmed in Windows but run on a Mac).  So, the subscript that is being called only has two steps:

1)  Print Setup [Restore, No Dialog] - Settings include "Any Printer", US Letter, and Landscape.

2)  Print [Restore] - Setting is for Current Record or Records Being Browsed, depending on which subscript is called

The problem occurs only with landscape print jobs.  I do need to keep the "Any Printer" setting, as my clients are in a different state, and most users have their own office with their own printer.  I can replicate the problem (cannot unreplicate the problem) on four printers (all are HP laser, different models).

The problem occurs on all solutions on all layouts when printing in Landscape, but the issue did not present itself on any of these files in FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13.0.1.  It is present in 13.0.9 and 14.  My current operating system is Mac OSX 10.9.5.

A comparison is shown in the image attached.  The left is a calendar (a month without events) printed on 12.0.5.  On the right is the same calendar when printed from the same file opened in 13.0.9 with the same results in 14.

Thanks for your help!

• 12. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                                TSGal

JohnTheSquirrel:

Thank you for the additional information.

I definitely see the left indentation in the right screen, but I'll need to see a copy of the file to determine why this is happening.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions were to send a clone (copy with no records) of your solution.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                                  TSGal

JohnTheSquirrel:

Our Testers are able to reproduce the issue under FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro 14.  Looking over the notes, it appears a tester was able to reproduce the issue with a new file with "Any Printer" selected.  The problem does not occur in FileMaker Pro 13/14 if a specific printer is selected.  Save as PDF works as expected.

All information has been sent to Development for review.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Left margin cut off when upgrading from 13v1 to v3/v4 on Mac
                                    jormond

Hey TSGal,

I just wanted to bump this thread and see if there has been any progress on it. Seems that in the most recent update, FM14 still shows the same problem.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next