Summary

Licensing Conflict with FM Server connecting to FM Server

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS 10.x

Description of the issue

I installed our new volume license on several machines and had the same issue with each. After installation I open remote to the server in the new Launcher window. I entered my credentials so I could see the files available to me. I added one to the favorites. I then tried to connect to that favorite and was given a licensing conflict. After relaunch it's fine and will no longer give me licensing conflicts. It only to happens on a fresh installation.

The license error says it conflicts with the FileMaker Server. Which is very strange.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See notes above.

Expected result

No licensing conflict.

Actual result

Licensing conflict.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

See image.

Workaround

None.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-26-at-10.17.58-AM.jpg

• 1. Re: Licensing Conflict with FM Server connecting to FM Server

Sean Walsh:

Thank you for the post.

A few questions to assist us with narrowing this down:

1. Is FileMaker Pro installed on the FileMaker Server and if so, does this error occur doing a local File > Open Remote?

2. Is FileMaker Pro also installed on another computer with a user account named “FM13FILESERVER”?

3. Is FileMaker Pro a volume license or are some licenses single user licenses?

To confirm if using a single-user license or a volume license perform the following steps:

Mac OS X

1. Open FileMaker Pro 14

2. Click “FileMaker Pro” > Click “About FileMaker Pro”

3. Click “Info”

Windows

1. Open FileMaker Pro 14

2. Click “Help” > Click “About FileMaker Pro”

3. Click “Info”

A volume license key will display “Volume License” and a single-user license key will display a license key.

If the same single-user license key is installed on two-machine, accessing the same FileMaker Server at the same time, then a license key conflict will occur. 

Please keep me updated with any progress. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Licensing Conflict with FM Server connecting to FM Server
            seanwalsh

1. No. FileMaker Pro is not installed on the server. No. Only when you connect the first time and you have to enter your credentials to see what files you have available to that user account.

2. No. There is no user name on any machine called FM13FILESERVER. (Note that user names are different than account names.  Regardless we don't use a user or account name called FM13FILESERVER.)

3. Yes this is a volume license with 25 users. I've only installed on 4 machines and this has happened on every single machine.

This is not a single license. There should be no conflict.

• 3. Re: Licensing Conflict with FM Server connecting to FM Server
              seanwalsh

Oh and by my statement every single machine this happened when only 1 license had been installed.

• 4. Re: Licensing Conflict with FM Server connecting to FM Server

Sean Walsh:

Thank you for the reply.

Since this shouldn’t be occurring with volume license keys, then I would recommend contacting Technical Support for further assistance and to validate the license keys for FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server.

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Licensing Conflict with FM Server connecting to FM Server
                  seanwalsh

There is no problem with the license. It's valid.

• 6. Re: Licensing Conflict with FM Server connecting to FM Server

Sean Walsh:

Thank you for the reply.

Did you contact Technical Support? 

Technical Support not only has a validation tool that no customer has access to, but will also be able to offer further troubleshooting steps. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.