1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 8:31 AM by Fred(CH)

Licensing issue when opening remote files

EricMurphy

Summary

Licensing issue when opening remote files

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

OS X 10.8.4

Description of the issue

Whenever I try to open more than one file remotely, I get a licensing issue which closes all open files and quits the application. This makes no sense as each computer has a separate license. I own four individual licenses for four individual computers, so there should never, ever be a license conflict.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Opening more than one file remotely.

Expected result

The file should open.

Actual result

The application reports a licensing conflict, closes all files, and quits.

• 1. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
          Fred(CH)

Hi Eric,

Thank you for posting. I also exeperienced this kind of issues with these potential causes :

• The desktop computer is it appearing many times on the FMS Admin Console Client section ?
               • Are you also acceeding your solutions by a virtual PC machine, like Parallel ?
               • Are you acceeding simultaneously to some files from Open Remote dialog within the favorite host tab (defined with public adress IP) and others files from local host tab ?

Bye, Fred
          • 2. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
            EricMurphy

I'm not using Filemaker Server. Both machines are running FM Pro 12. I'm connecting to both machines over the local WLAN, i.e., not using any form of remote access. I'm connecting to the remote files just using the local hosts tab, i.e., not the favorite hosts tab.

I'm wondering if the problem is due to the first computer opening files remotely from the second computer while the second computer has files opened remotely from the first computer?

• 3. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
              philmodjunk

Just to be sure, you can go to each computer, launch FileMaker and select Help | About FileMaker | Info to see the actual license key used to be sure that you didn't accidentally use the same license key with more than one install of FileMaker.

• 4. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                EricMurphy

Yes, I've already done that. Each computer has a unique (and valid) license number.

• 5. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                  Fred(CH)

Do you run muliple-file solutions with external data source defined ?

Bye, Fred

• 6. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                    EricMurphy

Yes, nearly all of my database solutions use external data sources (but they're all FMP 12 data sources). 

• 7. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                      Fred(CH)

Hi Eric,

Excuse me but, because of multiple files solutions AND the use of FileMaker Pro only, i would like to know another thing :

Did you dedicated a machine to run FileMaker Pro's sharing, to always share all of your solutions files from the same Host ?

Bye, Fred

• 8. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                        EricMurphy

Well, at work I do. :-) But we use FM Server there. Here at home things are a bit more relaxed. I do have one maching that hosts all my main Filemaker files. But I've been using another machine as a test-bed. If it helps, none of the files on one machine reference files on the other machine. All externally-referenced files for a given database reside on the same computer.

• 9. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                          Fred(CH)

Excuse me if my last question was certainly no relevant...

I am wondering if the bug can be caused by this Kind of scenario :

• My solution "AB" is composed by two file A and B (B is the external source). The host FMP computer is opening File A (B too but not explicitely).
                               • The client FMP client is connecting to A within the host above. Thus, he is browsing data from A and B .
                               • Then this same FMP client is trying to connect "directly" to B with the command Open Remote.

Is FileMaker Host considering that it is a second client connexion and then the bug is occuring ?

I cannot test it because i am now away and have only a notebook.

Bye, Fred

• 10. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                            EricMurphy

It's unlikely there are any cross-references like what you're describing because the databases on one machine are all linked to each other locally (all the files are on that machine), and the databases on the other machine are test versions of a solution that the production version is on an entirely different LAN (so any links between the two different solutions would break in actual use). I think the problem is simply that FMPro doesn't like it when two machines connect remotely to each other's files. FM Server seems to work okay this way, because I can connect remotely to files hosted on the server, and the files on the server can link back to files on my machine, but maybe FMPro just doesn't work well under these circumstances.

• 11. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                              Fred(CH)

FMI :

Help us please...

Bye, Fred

• 12. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files

Eric Murphy:

Thank you for the post.

To attempt to replicate this I performed the following actions:

1. Installed a single user license key of FileMaker Pro 12 on iMac A with Mac OS X 10.7.5.

2. Installed a different single user license key of FileMaker Pro 12 on iMac B with Mac OS X 10.8.4.

3. Hosted a new database file with FileMaker Pro's Network Sharing called "Test.fmp12" on iMac A. 

4. Hosted a new database file with FileMaker Pro's Network Sharing called "Test2.fmp12" on iMac B.

5. iMac A: File > Open Remote > Local Hosts > iMac B > Test2.fmp12 > Connected

6. iMac B: File > Open Remote > Local Hosts > iMac A > Test.fmp12 > Connected

I received no licensing conflict or error. Am I perhaps missing a step to replicate?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                                  JimMac

My mother called me Mr Buttinski once and here i go again.angel

I have had this  happen also.  My guess....

FMP executes a small license check routine at the end of each Applicaton Quit or File Open.  It is independent and hangs around for a prescribed time to ensure that a rapid quit/restart/open didn't bypass the normal background check routine.

My work around that never fails is...

Wait about 1 or 2 minutes before launching FMP again.   The File Open was always associated with a previous Application Quit.

Jim...

• 14. Re: Licensing issue when opening remote files
                                    EricMurphy

I think I realize what the problem is.

In the Open Remote dialog, each of my machines shows up twice: once under its IPv.4 address and once under its IPv6 address. If I connect to one database on the remote machine at its IPV4 address, and then connect to a different database at its IPv6 address, I get the license error. Apparently Filemaker sees the guest machine at two different IP addresse and assumes naturally that they're two different machines running the same license of Filemaker.

The solution would be to list all the host machines by either the v6 address or the v4 address in Favorite hosts, and then just use the favorite hosts tab instead of the local hosts tab so each host shows up just once at one IP address.

1 2 Previous Next