10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 7:12 AM by TSGal

Line endings from exported text files on Mac client are *always* Mac, no matter what's selected...

saraport

Summary

Line endings from exported text files on Mac client are *always* Mac, no matter what's selected...

Description of the issue

So this is a bug with every Mac Filemaker client version since and including 7 (when I started checking) through now.  I've mentioned it to FM reps at MacWorlds, other conferences, and now I can post a bug on it! Take example table A with 15 records in it;File -> Export (csv/tab);Give it a name and save it somewhere you can remember ;-);  In the Specify Field Order window, change the Output file character set to Unix/Dos/anything but Mac;Once it is done, go to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal; In Terminal, type wc -l  filename.tab (wordcount -lines);Results will be 0 (should be at least 15);  In english: the file still has Macintosh line endings and even the Mac unix based terminal cannot identify where the lines end and sees it as one massive line.  If there were no options to change the line-endings I wouldn't be so frustrated about this, but the fact that those options have been there for years and not actually done anything makes me confused.  We regularly run exports from FM for later processing on linux boxes and I have to run perl scripts on the files first to change the line-endings so the linux boxes can use them correctly (else it sees several thousand records as a 0 line file)... Thanks for giving a bug posting forum!