Summary

Line Spacing Different between FM 12 and 13

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9

Description of the issue

Not sure if this is a product change or bug.  In FM 13, a text block comprised of regular text and merge fields will have much tighter vertical line spacing when PDF'd in 13 than in 12!  In addition, text blocks begin at different vertical locations on the layout depending on the version.

As a result, we cannot have users on different versions, we have to redesign ALL printouts for 13 and we have an unhappy client!

In the example attached, the left side is created from 12 and is correct.  The right side is created from 13.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create layout with text blocks in FM 12.  Print.  Open in 13. Print.

Expected result

Exact same output.

Actual result

Vastly different line spacing.

FM12vs13LineSpacing.jpg

• 1. Re: Line Spacing Different between FM 12 and 13
          TSGal

James Wesolowski:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. In FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 under Mac OS X 10.8.5, I created a table with a Text field named TEXT, and I entered three records with different information in TEXT.

2. On my layout, I entered several lines of text on the layout, interspersed with <<TEXT>> merge field so that it covered most of one page.

3. I pulled down the File menu and selected "Save/Send Records As -> PDF...".  I saved the file as Save12.pdf.

4. I pulled down the File menu and selected Print, clicked PDF in the bottom left corner, and saved as PDF using filename "Print12.pdf".

5. I quit FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 and opened the database file under FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v4.

6. I repeated steps 3 and 4 creating files Save13.pdf and Print13.pdf.

All PDF files look identical.  The spacing is the same.  The font being used is Arial 12 point.

Was the text typed in manually?  Or, was it copied and pasted from somewhere else?  What font is being used?  Any other information you can provide may help me replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.