1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 1:40 PM by TSGal

Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.

Extensitech

Summary

Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7 and 8.1

Description of the issue

Please download a demo file. See the STR field for link.

I brought in the layout from the solution where the problem is an issue, and then removed as many complications as I could find while still keeping the demonstrated issue. On the data layout, note the highlighted line from record 5. On the print layout, in preview, note that the highlighted line shows at both the bottom of page 1 and the top of page 2.  The same file does not have this issue in FM12. Not sure if it happens on Mac. The clients are windows and FMP13, though.

In the actual solution, this layout is a report generator, based on a virtual list, with some very complex options, tab stops, page breaking and so forth. Many of the complications were actually a side-effect of trying to get around this bug.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Please download my demo file from www.extensitech.com/downloads/print_issue.zip

Expected result

A row of text shouldn't be duplicated on the printout unless it's duplicated in the data.

Actual result

see highlighted text in demo file, in preview mode on the print layout. (There are sub-summaries on the page, but sorting isn't necessary to see the issue.)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Workaround

I believe, over the course of a couple of months, that I've exhausted the possible ways of working around this bug, given the complex constraints in the actual solution. I find ways to make the issue go away for a particular set of records, but then some other combination of text breaks it again.

• 1. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
          Benjamin Fehr

I can confirm. I tested on Windows 10 Prerelease.

- issue appears in Preview-Mode only.

- a with FMP generated PDF shows correct formatting √

- setting minimum page margins doesn't fix it (as other print related issues do!)

- no issue with Mac OS

• 2. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
            TSGal

Chris Mercer:

Thank you for your post.

I do not see the issue with the highlighted text.  It displays near the bottom of page 2 of Preview (out of 5 pages), and it does not appear on page 3.  Under Print Setup, what Paper Size are you using?  (My Print Setup has US Letter).

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
              Extensitech

portrait US letter.

I'm seeing it at the bottom of page 1, top of page 2. I'm also seeing 6 pages, not 5.

Are you doing a sort or something? I am not.

• 4. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
                TSGal

Chris Mercer:

After unsorting, I only see 4 pages in both Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.10.  The highlighted sentence appears at the top of page 2 on Windows, and the second line of page 2 on Mac.  Nothing on page 1.

In Windows, what are you Display settings?  That is, go to Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display.  Make sure this is set to 100%.

Anything else you can provide may help in replicating the issue.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
                  Extensitech

(I reduced the zoom level in FM just so it'd fit in the window vertically)

If you're still somehow seeing something else, please call or email me. This forum interface is pretty time-consuming and challenging to use. A quick phone conversation (or better yet, online meeting) would get us to the bottom of this in minutes, not days.

Also, regarding Mr. Fehr's comment that the issue is fixed in PDF: This is coincidental. Another fun aspect of this is that the pdf and print preview don't match. Reasons for that aside, I can testify that if you play with the heights, widths of fields, the length of paragraphs, and so forth, you'll eventually find a combination that looks fine in preview, but repeats in PDF. I would send you an actual example, but it's out of a clients' solution, and I cannot post it in a public space.

Chris Cain
                  FM Certified Developer
                  Extensitech, LLC

• 8. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
                    TSGal

Chris Mercer:

I was unavailable yesterday.

I am still unable to reproduce the issue.  The highlighted information displays only at the top of page 2.  See the first page at the bottom of this post, and I'll put the second page (of 4) in the following post.

I am using a HP LaserJet P3005 PCL 6 driver.  What printer driver are you using?

To talk with a Support Technician via telephone, please call toll-free 800-325-2747.  Also, please check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional information.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
                      Extensitech

I don't have a printer driver on my own computer, aside from MS XPS Document Writer and One Note, if those even count. (I'm close enough to paperless that I need a printer about as often as I need a floppy disk.) My client, however is experiencing this on multiple Windows computers, in different locations and with different printers. Here in my office, we can reproduce the issue with a Mac, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (mine being the Win7), and the Mac and the Win 8.1 machine each have other printer drivers installed. Benjamin Fehr, earlier in this thread, said that he could reproduce it with Windows 10 pre-release.

Given the variety of operating systems, printers, LAN networks and so forth, I firmly believe we've eliminated environmental factors as a root cause.

So far, it seems as though you're the only one not able to reproduce the issue. I'd suggest getting with Benjamin. You could also check for duplications at the other page breaks, and/or edit the text so that paragraphs and lines end in different places. On the mac at the office, for instance, it's the prior line that gets duplicated. In the original text, before I "sanitized" it, the duplications were between 1 and 2, and again between 3 and 4. I'm confident you can find it.

I don't particularly need tech support, and I believe over the last few months I've exhausted potential workaround options, given the reporting requirements in this case. After 20 years working with FM, 15 of which have been spent as a full-time solution developer, I don't report a "bug" lightly, since I know that more often than not either the user is misunderstanding/misusing a function, there's a simple workaround, or the "feature" never existed in the first place. In this case, though, there's no "undocumented feature" narrative that would make the duplicated lines desirable, and there are no remaining settings for me to change that would sidestep the issue without undermining the desired functionality of this reporting need. I can accept that FM isn't a word processor, and lacks some features in that area (like page breaks, section breaks, soft returns, ordered lists, widow/orphan control, etc.), but adding lines (or in the case of FM10, discarding them) is another matter.

If you need help reproducing the issue, or need further information, in order to fix the bug, though, give me a call and I'll be happy to help. Meanwhile, please update me if a fix is forthcoming for this issue, since otherwise I'll need to redesign this functional area of the solution, using a third party plugin or separate application.

By the way, I sincerely appreciate your concern about my privacy. My contact info is available all over the web already, though.

Chris Cain
                      Extensitech

• 11. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
                        TSGal

Chris Cain:

Sorry for any possible misunderstanding.  I have no doubt this is happening to you, but I need more information in order to replicate this issue with data being repeated.  Regardless, I'm sending your file and my findings to Development and Testing for review.  Hopefully, they will be able to create a system where it duplicates.  If not, I'll come back for more information.

Since you mentioned "third party plugin", do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, try disabling them and try again.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
                          TSGal

Chris Cain:

The tester was also unable to reproduce the issue, but a similar issue was reported by another customer (not on this forum).  Your file has also been attached to that issue.  I'll keep you posted if there is any change.

If you discover any other way to replicate the issue, please let us know.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
                            TSGal

Chris Cain:

Based on your original screen shots and a little tweaking, a tester was able to reproduce the issue.  As it turns out, it was not related to the other issue.  The tester has sent his findings to our Development department for further review.  

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Lines of text duplicating on the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
                              philmodjunk

Unless I missed it, this appears to be windows only.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

1 2 Previous Next