Summary

Log file wpc_access_log.txt grows without bounds

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2, Service Pack 1, 64 bit

Description of the issue

There are 2 log file settings one can specify in the FileMaker Server admin console:

Configuration -> Database Server -> Logging -> Log Size
        Configuration -> Web Publishing -> General Settings -> Log Size

Neither of these 2 settings affect the log file wpc_access_log.txt which currently exceeds 800 MB. When I tried to rename the file using Windows Explorer, Windows complained that the file was opened by fmswpc.exe and could not be renamed. Looking in the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-ESC) the description for fmswpc.exe was 'FileMaker Web Publishing Engine'. Since this program has something to do with Web Publishing, I would assume that the program's log file wpc_access_log.txt would be controlled by the second log file setting listed above.

Steps to reproduce the problem

In the FileMaker Server admin console set

Configuration -> Database Server -> Logging -> Log Size -> 100 MB
        Configuration -> Web Publishing -> General Settings -> Log Size -> 40 MB

Run an active server for at least 3 months
      (800 MB / 24 months) * 3 = 100 MB.

Look at the files in the Logs directory. The wpc_access_log.txt file should be larger that 100 MB. It not, let the server run longer until it does exceed that limit, or reduce the 'Log Size' settings to smaller numbers.

Expected result

I would expect that the wpc_access_log.txt log would be controlled by this FileMaker Server admin console setting:

Configuration -> Web Publishing -> General Settings -> Log Size

or, less likely, this FileMaker Server admin console setting:

Configuration -> Database Server -> Logging -> Log Size

Actual result

The log file wpc_access_log.txt continues to grow in size.

Workaround

(1) Turn off logging. This is not acceptable because this log file is required for Washington State reporting purposes.

(2) Stop Web Publishing, rename the log file, Start Web Publishing. Our FileMaker server has 65 databases some of which are active 24/7. Getting an agreement on when to stop/rename/start from every group is difficult.

• 1. Re: Log file wpc_access_log.txt grows without bounds
          TSGal

TWE:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Server 12, only the Web Publishing Engine (wpe) can be limited in size; not the wpc log.  In FileMaker Server 13, you can now limit the size of the wpc log file.

Since there are no plans to revisit FileMaker Server 12, I recommend archiving the wpc_access_txt.log file on a quarterly or semi-annually basis.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.