4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 12:45 PM by ianfdlrs

Long Load/Startup time - FM11

ianfdlrs

Summary

Long Load/Startup time - FM11

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved: FileMaker 11Operating System(s) involved: Windows 7Detailed description of the issue:  I just installed FM11 Advanced, and whenever I run the program, it sits on the initial splash screen for a very long time (minutes), before finally loading and popping up. Whenever I run it, I notice in the Loading area of the splash screen (under the Copyright info), it says Loading...AutoUpdate. This is the part it seems to be hanging on.Exact steps to reproduce the issue: Open FileMaker Pro 11 AdvancedExpected Result: Nearly immediate startupActual Result: Load times of minutes (Probably more than 5)Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared: No error - just long startup time.Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue: I recently installed a NAS, with a few areas on the drive mapped out, that are not currently connected. Note: I just disconnected the mapped drives, and it still does the same thing. Didn't know if it might be trying to scan/locate those drives for any reason.   I turned off the notifications, thinking it might let me manually choose when to update, and that did not help.Any workarounds that you have found: None   Other than that, I cannot think of anything else. Anyone know what might be causing this? Ian

• 1. Re: Long Load/Startup time - FM11
          TSGal

ianfdlrs:

Thank you for your post.

If the splash screen displays "Loading AutoUpdate", then FileMaker is looking across the network to our server to see if an update is available.  This should happen quickly unless there is a network issue.  If you turned off notifications, then something else is occurring on the network.

For testing purposes, try disabling/uninstalling the NAS.  Reboot the machine to reset memory and try again.  Does this help?  If not, revisit the FileMaker General Preferences, and make sure "Notify me when an update is available" and "Notify me when a new version is available" are both unchecked.

Try disconnecting your machine from the network and launch FileMaker Pro.  Any difference in speed performance?

Another test would be to create a new user account on your machine, log into the new user account and launch FileMaker Pro.  If this launches quickly, then there is something in the user account settings that is interfering with FileMaker Pro.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Long Load/Startup time - FM11
            ianfdlrs

Did what you said. The NAS mapped drives have been disconnected. If I unplug the network connection, then the AutoUpdate passes quickly, goes to Initializing, then finishes loading.

As soon as I plug in the network cable and run FileMaker, it hangs on the AutoUpdate again. Is there a port or anything that the Firewall may be blocking?

I haven't had to make a lot of changes to my firewall since I installed Windows 7, so I don't of anything that may be hindering it, that I have set up.

Ian

• 3. Re: Long Load/Startup time - FM11
              TSGal

ianfdlrs:

Thank you for testing this out.  It definitely sounds like a network issue.  I have contacted our Testers to try and find out exactly what is occurring during the "Auto_Update" phase and what port/ports is/are being accessed.  When I receive a reply, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Long Load/Startup time - FM11
                ianfdlrs

Thanks