AnsweredAssumed Answered

Looked up value fields do not look up sub totals if they refer to a summary field

Question asked by philmodjunk on Nov 30, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 by philmodjunk

Summary

Looked up value fields do not look up sub totals if they refer to a summary field

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v3

Operating system version

Windows XP, SP3

Description of the issue

In all other parts of FileMaker (as far as I can tell), a reference to a summary field in a related table returns the total of the related records--not the total of the entire table.

Here is a demo file illustrating the bug: http://www.4shared.com/file/uPqzfV2I/ProdRptJobSummDemo.html
create a new record on the job summary layout and enter either a 1 or a 2 in the salesOrder field and note that two columns correctly display the subtotal but the "failedOrderTotal" field displays the total of all the records in the table instead of the expected subtotal.

Expected result

If I enter a SalesOrder of 1, I should see a total of 55 and a total of 12 if I enter a 2.

Actual result

In both cases, the looked up value field returns 67--the total of all records in the related table.

Workaround

Use an auto-enter calculation that refers to the summary field instead of a looked up value field option.

LookedUpSummaryBug.JPG

Outcomes