Losing some images in container fields on import of other data

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

OS X.9.4

Description of the issue

I have a table with an image container. I routinely import data from an excel spreadsheet. Often, when I do, I lose a handfull of images. I don't have anything mapped to my container field from Excel on import. It seems to be a random set, often time I don't lose the images, but it seems once in every 3 imports I lose 10-20 images out of 200 or so records.

Workaround

Re-import the images manually

• 1. Re: Losing some images in container fields on import of other data
          philmodjunk

What kind of import are you doing? Are you doing an "Update matching records in Found Set" import? or an import that strictly adds new records?

are the images in your container fields images inserted with "store a reference" enabled? Are they embedded? Or do you have external storage specified?

• 2. Re: Losing some images in container fields on import of other data
            DanielWilken

I'm importing File: Excel File. 

Settings:

•           Update Matching Records...
            •      
            •           Add Remaining Data as New Records
            •      
            •           Don't Import First Record

In the options for the Container field, I don't find a "store a reference" checkbox anywhere. in the Storage Options for the container I have 1 repetition, otherwise everything is unchecked (i.e. no "global storage", no "store container data externally").

• 3. Re: Losing some images in container fields on import of other data
              TSGal

Daniel Wilken:

Thank you for your post.

In the import dialog field mapping, are you updating the Container field?  If so, remove it from the import.

When you insert a File/Picture/PDF/etc. into the Container field, there is an option at the bottom "Store only a reference to the file".  If this is checked, only a link to the file is inserted.  Otherwise, the file is embedded into the database file.  If you did store as a reference and then moved the file to a different location, FileMaker Pro will not find the file because it has saved the link to the old location.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Losing some images in container fields on import of other data
                DanielWilken

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been dragging the pictures into records, so I don't get the dialog for "reference file". I assume it's respecting my UN-checked "store container data externally" Container Option. I'm happy to change my workflow (or the container storage) if we suspect this is the cause. I suspect all the images are being stored in the database as the size of my database seems to reflect some images embedded and and I don't see any files in the "Manage Containers  > Base Directories" location).

I haven't been moving any of the original image files (PNGs), nor do I think that the fact I'm losing them upon import is a coincidence.

When I do import records, I keep the container field in question unmapped. This was my suspicion, user error with this detail, but the pattern where it's only certain records, usually around 10-20% that are losing the container, would seem to dismiss this idea (my imports update 100% of the table records).

-Dan

• 5. Re: Losing some images in container fields on import of other data
                  TSGal

Daniel Wilken:

Thank you for the additional information.

Other than what I mentioned earlier, there is no reason why the Container field content would be removed.

Assuming the table may be damaged, create a new table and import the data from the old table into the new table.  Your data, including Container field contents, should remain intact.  You can then import into the new table to see if the issue persists.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Losing some images in container fields on import of other data
                    philmodjunk

I have been dragging the pictures into records, so I don't get the dialog for "reference file". I assume it's respecting my UN-checked "store container data externally" Container Option.

This embeds a copy of the file into your container field and then the external storage option kicks in and the file is copied from the field into the external storage location and then the container field is updated to reference the copy stored at the external storage location. This is similar but not identical to "store a reference." I would not change this set up. Just wanted to have a clear picture of what you have set up here in order to factor that into any future responses by me or TS personnel.

Settings:

•           Update Matching Records...
                    •      
                    •           Add Remaining Data as New Records

The hypothesis that I would next test is that your import added a new record when it should have matched. This duplicate would show an empty container field.

Two ways that this can happen:

1.           The Matching record wasn't in the current found set. Be sure to select "Show All Records" on a layout based on the target table occurrence before starting this import.
                    3.           The records failed to match due to a discrepancy in the value of one of the specified match fields. In a text field, even an extra space or tab character can result in fields that look like they match, but don't.

So I'd check the records in your table for duplicates where one record has a reference to your file in the container field and a duplicate of it does not.