Summary

Lost all data from Runtime solution

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

Lost all data from runtime solution. Also backups from this solution has no data.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Solution has been installed in february this year. Until now the user has worked in it succesfully. All data was present till a week ago. All this time he has made a backup (simple save copy) every time he has finished working.
      From one moment till another the runtime only consists the data on moment of install (so only data from februari). So the data from februari till august is lost.

On investigation the modifying date hasn't changed after working in the file. Also the modifying date of the backup is still february.

Expected result

All data still present in solution.

Actual result

Lost all data.

All backup files (on external backup off various dates) are empty. Try to restore the current files and several backup files, but data still lost.
      If the user could see all data till one week ago, where has the data been stored?

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error message.

Configuration information

Made with filemaker pro advanced 10 in windows 7.
      Runtime solution was installed in the 'my documents'directory (so not the program files, where the same problem exists)on windows vista.

Workaround

no workaround found.

• 1. Re: Lost all data from Runtime solution
          philmodjunk

All this time he has made a backup (simple save copy) every time he has finished working.
          From one moment till another the runtime only consists the data on moment of install (so only data from februari). So the data from februari till august is lost.

On investigation the modifying date hasn't changed after working in the file. Also the modifying date of the backup is still february

This doesn't add up. Simply opening and closing the file will change it's modification date to the current date. If both the file and it's backups show a February date, then these are not the copies of the file your user was opeing and using. It seems likely that either the files are stored in an additional location elsewhwere in the system or some other action such as a system restore from back up has overwritten the current files with the older back up copies from last February.

• 2. Re: Lost all data from Runtime solution
            AnnekeHulsbosch

Tell me about this, it really doesn't add up. I have a few comments on your remark:

1. There was made a 'backup' in a diferent directory with save copy as. The location of this backup was predefined in a script, so couldn't been changed by the user and coudn't overwrite the original file by exident.

2. The user makes online external backups with two different services (he wanted to be save, ironicly). These backups are scheduled daily. The files have to be restored from the backup service manually, you have to pick a date and further a location. It is unlikely that the backup had overwritten the original. The user didn't know how the backup service worked and files restored previous on his lost of data also had the modifying date of februari.

3. The user send me an email in March with the comment that it's modifying date of the backup wasn't changing. Because other users didn't had this problem, i told him to contact me so I can look on his computer. Unfortunately he didn't. But it stated that already in March the modifying date didn't change.

4. Two years ago i have experienced the same problem for several times! At that time windows Vista was new and the runtime was installed in the Program files directory. On windows xp there was no issue, but in Vista happened the same as in this occasion. Users where just working for months but if you copied the file, there was no data in it. I had to export all data for 30 users and after i strongly advise not to install a runtime solution in the program files. Also on these occasions, i had no clue where the data is stored during all those months.

I have to say this worries me a lot because it makes the filemaker runtime unreliable.

• 3. Re: Lost all data from Runtime solution
              philmodjunk

3. The user send me an email in March with the comment that it's modifying date of the backup wasn't changing. Because other users didn't had this problem, i told him to contact me so I can look on his computer. Unfortunately he didn't. But it stated that already in March the modifying date didn't change.

Right there is your problem. The data was never backed up. Something is wrong with either the script, the file or his system.