Lost data in export file from FileExpress to Excel

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

MAC OS/X Lion

Description of the issue

When exporting data to an Excel (*.xlsx) file records that have the same address information in the ADDRESS field are being truncated after the first occurrence of the same address. I the are additional same addressed in the file, only the first occurrence of each record with the same address appear in the exported file.  This is only occurring when using the EXPORT feature.  If I use the SAVE/SEND feature all of the records appear in the Excel file.  I currently have a data base with 1084 records.  I find and sort to get 687, sorted by zipcode.  The results in the EXPORT file only show 444, while the results in the SAVE/SEND file have all 687 records.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I use a database with the following fields: MAIL, NAME, ADDRESS1, ADDRESS2, CITY-ST-ZIP, ZIPCODE. The Mail field is a Y-N-E-O (yes, no, even, odd) used to determine when the mail occurs.

Enter records 1 through 10 with all different addresses, records 11 through 20 with different names, but the same addresses and alternate the process until the file is over 50 for test purposes you may want to add more.  Sort by the zipcode field.  Click on the FILE, EXPORT RECORDS and export the file to an Excel *.xlsx file.  Note that the records are only present with different addresses, no duplicates.

Using the same table and sort above, Click on FILE, SAVE/SEND RECORDS AS, EXCEL and save the file to an Excel *.xlsx file, now note the entire table is present with all the records including the records with different names, by the same adresses.

Expected result

I would expect the results to be the same in both the EXPORT RECORDS and the SAVE/SEND RECORDS AS fields generated, but the EXPORT feature is truncating the records even if the name field is different but the address field is the same.

Actual result

See expected results above

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

Workaround

the workaround is to use the SAVE/SEND RECORDS AS... feature and save the Excel file instead of using the EXPORT RECORDS feature.

• 1. Re: Lost data in export file from FileExpress to Excel
          philmodjunk

Hmmm, working on a test file to replicate this, but what do you refer to by "FileExpress"?

• 2. Re: Lost data in export file from FileExpress to Excel
            DonaldPackwood

Brain Lapse, I meant FileMaker.  I have received informatin from Customer Support, and found the problem was in the "Summary-Export" feature, which I didn't even realize I was using, but was.  I had actually selected a "Group by" field  on the "ZipCode" and once cleared, the problem was resolved.  Apparently the summary-export does not allow repeat records to be exported.

Thanks for all your work and assitance, sorry it was an error on my part, though the documentation is not real clear on this unless you are pointed in the right direction in the knowledge base it is really hard to find.

• 3. Re: Lost data in export file from FileExpress to Excel
              philmodjunk

I followed your directions and all 51 records exported with complete data in every field. But I noticed something in the export dialog that may explain your results.

Having sorted by zipcode before exporting, there's an option to "group by" the zipcode field. If I select that option. As would be expected, I get only one row for each unique zipcode as that's what should happen here, it's an option for exporting summarized data so that you get one row per group.

Anychance that you selected the "group by" field when you exported?

If that's a possibility, try the export again, but don't select any group by options.