lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v3

Operating system version

wondows 7, windows vista

Description of the issue

Case: text field with slide up based on all objects above, inside the BODY with allow part to break across page boundaries.
      When the text field has more than 1 line and the remain space in the page could fit only the first line of the field, the line is not printed, the field is break in the following page, a blank line is printed with the rest of the field. If the text field has just 1 line it is printed correctly.
      i.e. text field contain 5 lines: if there is space just for one line in the page, there will be blank line in the page, a blank line in the following page and the printing starts from line 2 up to line 5. LINE 1 IS MISSED FROM PRINTING.
      As in the attached image (export from an available text db ), in page there is not the line 1 of record 26 and the same in the top of following page. A blank line is printed instead (note the field space in the top of second page). Field borders in red.
      The content of the text field is constructed like this:
           Record Number  - number of lines in the field - “line # “ line number
      This problem seems not related to printers neither drivers because it was reproduced using no less than 7 different printers (real, virtual, pdf, standalone, networked).
      It was not tested on any MacOs.

Steps to reproduce the problem

it is available a line test.fp7 db to reproduce the problem.
      acts to have just 1 line space in the bottom of the page and the text field to be printed has more than 1 line.

Expected result

print all the lines in the text field

Actual result

missed the first line of the text field

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error messages

Workaround

no workaround possible

line_text.PNG

• 1. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
          TSGal

Gianandrea Gattinoni:

Thank you for sending in your file and follow-up emails.  I am able to replicate the problem on both Windows and Mac operating systems.  In essence, if a field is set to slide up, and the field is the same height as the Body, if there is enough room to print the first line of the field at the bottom of a page, it is omitted and the second through <n> lines print on the next page.

I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for further review.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
            GianandreaGattinoni

Many thanks.

please note that the BODY should be set as:  allow part to break across page boundaries.

Gianandrea

• 3. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
              TSGal

Goianandrea Gattinoni:

I apologize for not making that clear, as it already seemed obvious.  Like you said, the Body part should be set to allow part to break across page boundaries.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
                TSGal

Goianandrea Gattinoni:

Just a quick note to let you know you haven't been forgotten.  Our Testing department has confirmed the issue and it has been sent on to Development for further review.  No other information is available at this time.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition

I just ran into the same problem. After searching this site i downloaded the fmp bugs.fp7 where i found this report and the remark: Risk level: Low

I've been able to reproduce this behavior also with large textfields/placeholders breaking over page boundaries where i discovered that FileMaker omits not only/always the first line of the field but any textline that happens to be on/near the pagebreak. The print of the text starts on page 1 and continues on page 2 but omits 1 or 2 lines on the pagebreak in the middle of the field/placeholder. To make things worse: text prints usually smaller than it shows in preview because of text tracking.

I maintain a database for a cardiologist, i was not the the developer of the original database, i just keep it alive. That doctor writes and prints/pdf's reports about medical treatment for the general practinioner of his patients. Imagine that this missing line of text could contain vitally important information for the treatment of this patient and the general practitioner mistreating the patient because of the missing textline - with possibly severe consequences for the patients health.

I don't want to think about the possible legal implications such a case could trigger against the cardiologist or me.

It is not acceptable to me or the doctor that he has to proofread and compare the print/pdf with the text he has written on screen word by word, line by line. This doctor should be able to spend his time for his patients - not searching for FileMaker bugs.

Just to cover my back i will consult an attorney first thing tomorrow morning and afterwards call this problem/possibility to the doctors attention as fast as possible.

• 7. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition

I just ran into the same problem. After searching this site i downloaded the fmp bugs.fp7 where i found this report and the remark: Risk level: Low

I've been able to reproduce this behavior also with large textfields/placeholders breaking over page boundaries where i discovered that FileMaker omits not only/always the first line of the field but any textline that happens to be on/near the pagebreak. The print of the text starts on page 1 and continues on page 2 but omits 1 or 2 lines on the pagebreak in the middle of the field/placeholder. To make things worse: text prints usually smaller than it shows in preview because of text tracking.

I maintain a database for a cardiologist, i was not the the developer of the original database, i just keep it alive. That doctor writes and prints/pdf's reports about medical treatment for the general practinioner of his patients. Imagine that this missing line of text could contain vitally important information for the treatment of this patient and the general practitioner mistreating the patient because of the missing textline - with possibly severe consequences for the patients health.

I don't want to think about the possible legal implications such a case could trigger against the cardiologist or me.

It is not acceptable to me or the doctor that he has to proofread and compare the print/pdf with the text he has written on screen word by word, line by line. This doctor should be able to spend his time for his patients - not searching for FileMaker bugs.

Just to cover my back i will consult an attorney first thing tomorrow morning and afterwards call this problem/possibility to the doctors attention as fast as possible.

• 8. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition

I just ran into the same problem. After searching this site I downloaded the "fmp bugs.fp7" where I found this report and the remark: Risk level: Low

I've been able to reproduce this behavior also with large text fields/placeholders breaking over page boundaries where I discovered that FileMaker omits not only/always the first line of the field but any text line that happens to be on/near the page break. The print of the text starts on page 1 and continues on page 2 but omits 1 or 2 lines on the page break in the middle of the field/placeholder. To make things worse: text prints usually smaller than it shows in preview because of text tracking.

I maintain a database for a cardiologist, I was not the developer of the original database, I just keep it alive. That doctor writes and prints/Pdf's reports about medical treatment for the general practitioner of his patients. Imagine that this missing line of text could contain vitally important information for the treatment of this patient and the general practitioner mistreating the patient because of the missing text line - with possibly severe consequences for the patient’s health.

I don't want to think about the possible legal implications such a case could trigger against the cardiologist or me. This bug I have to regard as Risk level: worst case scenario

It is not acceptable to me that the doctor has to proofread and compare the print/Pdf with the text he has written on screen word by word, line by line. This doctor should be able to spend his time for his patients - not searching for FileMaker bugs.

Just to cover my back I will consult an attorney first thing tomorrow morning and afterwards call this problem/possibility to the doctor’s attention as fast as possible by certified express mail.

• 9. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
                        philmodjunk

@Daniel Wilhelm,

Please note the following info included with the Known Buglist:

The "risk level" is a personal estimate (by me) on what level of risk the reported bug has for your data and the integrity of your file. It does not in any way attempt to indicate it's risk in any other context. Since this is a display issue, it's potential for producing a corrupted file or incorrect data in multiple records in your file is low.

Please also note that this is not a rating provided by FileMaker Inc nor does it indicate when or if FileMaker will correct it nor any kind of "priority" fileMaker might set on the file.

the exact quote:

"Keep in mind that a bug which has serious consequences for you and your business may be rated as "Nuisance" because it does not threaten your data or files. As far as I know, this "rating" will have no effect on how FileMaker Inc. prioritizes any fixes they choose to incorporate in an updater or upcoming version."

• 10. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
                          Benjamin Fehr

I just run into same problem with FM12.

In my print layout, the 12. row is among page break. If portal contains 12 rows, the 12. row get's lost. If portal contains more than 12 rows, no problem at all.

Is this correct that this is a bug, reported in November 2011 under FM11wich still isn't resolved under FM12 in the Year of 2014?!

• 11. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
                            philmodjunk

But in your case Benjamin, are you using sliding fields? if not, this would appear to be a new and different bug that should have it's own bug report.

Also note that posts made to an issue report that is more than a few months old will not pop that report back up into recent items and it is unlikely to be seen by anyone except those that are still subscribed to the thread.

• 12. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
                              Benjamin Fehr

Phil

thanks for that hint. I do use slide up option AND "adjust size …" (auch Größe des umschl. Bereichs anpassen). It's that "adjust size…" that kills the last row.

New report:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/bb702ec56e

• 13. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
                                TSGal

Benjamin Fehr:

I have replied to your other post since it is slightly different and contains more detail, but your issue does appear to be related to this issue.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: lost line when text field is break across pages in particular condition
                                  Snoopy7

I just run into same problem with FM12 (win) and understand the bug is known over several FMP versions/years and still is present!

Im my case regulation/law records get missing! It would be really nice if the data of FMP can also be given out in a report. Support for new formats like iPhone/iPad are great, but a really big plus would be to focus also on the output paper/PDF. I remember I struggled alreday at FM7 with such layout issues.

I think it should be possible to lift this issue higher on the bug priority list.wink

Thank you for your work.

Still loving FMP.

1 2 Previous Next