Summary

MAC FMP 13: Some  fonts some not available

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite

Description of the issue

I have a font set (Bliss2.otf) installed. FMP 13 displays only Bliss 2 Regular. Other applications show Bliss2 Reg, Reg Ital, Bold, and Bold Ital.

Previous versions showed Bliss 2 Bold

• 1. Re: MAC FMP 13: Some  fonts some not available
          TSGal

John Jones:

Thank you for your post.

Which previous versions showed Bliss 2 Bold?

I do not have access to the Bliss2 font set.  Is there a Bliss2.ttf option?  That is, true type instead of open type?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: MAC FMP 13: Some  fonts some not available
            JohnJones_1

FMP10 showed Bliss2 Bold in the dropdown. I do recall about FMP12

I can send you the Bliss2 set if you have an address I can use.

Thanks

John

• 3. Re: MAC FMP 13: Some  fonts some not available
              TSGal

John Jones:

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the Bliss2 open type font (and true type if you have it) files.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: MAC FMP 13: Some  fonts some not available
                TSGal

John Jones:

I received your font package.  Thank you.

I can replicate the issue.  The individual fonts (Bliss 2 Regular, Bliss 2 Bold, Bliss 2 Italic, and Bliss 2 Bold Italic) display in the font menu for FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 12.  In FileMaker Pro 13, only Bliss 2 Regular displays.  I sent this information to Testing and Development for review.

Development said there was a conscious design change in FileMaker Pro 13 to not display fonts that are only to support styles (like bold, italic, condense, expand, etc.).  Those type fonts will be listed only if you cannot select them by picking the base font and applying those styles to them.  For example, with Arial font in FileMaker Pro 13, you will no longer see Arial Bold, Arial Bold Italic, Arial Italic, Arial Narrow Bold, Arial Narrow Bold Italic, nor Arial Narrow Italic.

The main issue is if one of the stylized fonts was selected in a previous version, the font entry will appear blank in FileMaker Pro 13.

When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: MAC FMP 13: Some  fonts some not available
                  JohnJones_1

TSGal,

Thank you for the follow up. A couple of comments:

So to be sure that I understand: If the “support styles” of a font are available, then selecting the “B” icon in the Format bar will cause FMP to use that support font, and if I were to export that field for a report it would be designated as the support font (so it would appear in Word (gasp, a non-Apple product - LOL), in InDesign, and others as properly formatted and Word will show that the support style is the one selected in the font drop down.

If the “support styles” are not available, FMP would apply a “bolding” algorithm to the characters.

The “bolding” algorithm does NOT produce the same character as the support style. Support styles are specifically designed. (You probably know all this but I thought I would mention it.)

One of the issues is that in the layout I have defined a font for a specific field (in this case it was Bliss 2 Bold in a layout created in a previous version of FMP <it was so long ago it was probably FMP 8>). In previous versions, when I selected (or entered) data in that field the font window would show Bliss 2 Bold. As of FMP 13 that window is blank AND the “B” icon is not highlighted so I have no idea, or confidence, as to what font has been assigned. (Screen shot attached)

There must be some advantage to the developers, but I am not sure what the advantage to users is as a result to this change. I can see an obvious disadvantage.

Thanks

John

• 6. Re: MAC FMP 13: Some  fonts some not available
                    TSGal

John Jones:

Your understanding is correct.  In FileMaker Pro 12, you could directly select the "Bliss 2 Bold" font.  You could then click on "B" to add a Bold style to the "Bliss 2 Bold" Bolded font.  In FileMaker Pro 13, you only select the Bliss 2 Regular font.  When you click the "B" to add a Bold style, FileMaker Pro 13 will then use the "Bliss 2 Bold" font.  If this did not exist, then FileMaker Pro would create its own bold style to the font.

Your screen shot verifies my statement that "if one of the stylized fonts was selected in a previous version, the font entry will appear blank in FileMaker Pro 13."

Compare your font list in FileMaker Pro 12 with FileMaker Pro 13.  The font list for FileMaker Pro 13 will be shorter for quicker selection.  Also, it will no longer be possible to bold an already bolded font.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.