14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 10:44 AM by mrevenaugh

Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine

mrevenaugh

Summary

Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine

Description of the issue

MacOS update for Java Update 2 installed today. It killed the WPE. I reinstalled Snow Leopard back to version 6.2 and FMServer 11. Everything was happy. I slowly updated MacOS and everything was still happy. Until I was left with the Java Update 2. After double checking everything was running properly, I did the Java Update 2. It immediately killed the WPE. How am I the first or only one to report this? I will spend the 2-4 hours to re-install Snow Leopard and FMServer 11 and all the updates up to Java 2 so that my project works. I hope the requests for system info happen soon so I can help. Because in the next 24 hours I won't be able to provide them. Very disappointing and frustrating! Where should I send the bill for my time and efforts? There should have been warnings sent to all FileMaker Server business customers warning of this. We get emails every other day about upcoming events and upgrades, but not critical issues like this? It seems that this issue has been known for at least six months. Signed ... A 20+ year user/developer of FileMaker and consultant who has many dozens of customers who have bought thousands of dollars of licenses.  

• 1. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
          TSGal

mrevenaugh:

Thank you for your post.

As of today, no issue has been reported regarding Java Update 2 with FileMaker Server 10 or 11.

It''s not clear in your post, but after updating to Java Update 2, did you try uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Server?

Any other information about your system that you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
            mrevenaugh

Yes, I did try and re-install. This was the sequence.... I think it was scientific and kosher....

I have avoided updating to 10.6.3 with a wary developers eye. The "If it ain't broke..." attitude.

1) Existing, newish, working MacMini runing SnowLeopard 10.6.2 with FileMaker Server (v10.0.2 for SnoL) and PHP. All is golden for 4+ months.

1.5) Happy, sunny, Thursday morning. Developers due diligence being pursued for client.

2) OS X alerts for various updates (10.6.3), download and update, restart CPU. All is golden.

3) OS X alerts for Java Update 2, download and update, restart CPU.

4) FileMaker Server Web Publishing is now dead and will not load. Apache is running, but not FileMaker WPE and/or PHP. Logs mention TomCat not loaded.

4.5) Much head scratching and Internet searching....

5) Remove and re-install FileMaker Server 10. Restart CPU. Still have dead WPE.

6) Remove FileMaker Server 10, Install FileMaker Server 11. Restart CPU. Still have dead WPE.

7) Attempted backgrade to Java Update 1. Restart. Still have dead WPE.

7.5) More head scratching and internet searching... Decide to cut loses and start fresh.

8) Re-install Snow Leopard 10.6. Remove and Install FileMaker Server 11. Restart CPU. All is golden.

9) OS X Updater for various items (10.6.2). Restart CPU. All is still golden.

10) OS X Updater for various items (10.6.3) minus the Java Update 2. Restart CPU. All is still golden.

11) OS X Update for Java Update 2 (only item left to update). Restart CPU. Web Publishing is now dead again.

11.5) Frustration and much cursing ensue. Many mothers and illegitimate children sworn at. Higher powers queried for being forsaken.

12) Re-install Snow Leopard 10.6. Remove and Install FileMaker Server 11. Restart CPU. All is now golden.

13) OS X Updater for various items (10.6.2). Restart CPU. All is still golden.

14) OS X Updater for various items (10.6.3) minus Java Update 2. Restart CPU. All is still golden.

15) OS X Updater instructed to skip Java Update 2. Happy developer, happy client.

16) Left to do: 10 more servers to upgrade to Snow Leopard and FileMaker Server 11. Skipping Java Update 2 of course.

• 3. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
              TSGal

mrevenaugh:

Thanks for taking the time to document your steps.  This definitely helps.

I have forwarded everything to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                raelb

I am running Mac OS Server 10.6.3 and was running Filemaker server 10.3.3, after installing the latest java update yesturday and restarting the database was no longer available. I tried a number of things including re install all without success. Now the console will not start either.

• 5. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                  mrevenaugh

Buddy, the only expedited answer that I've found is that you need to reinstall the OS back to 6.2, then reinstall FMS10.

Make sure you have copied down all your schedules in FMS10.

All this is because Java is an incremental update. Meaning, you can't undo an update. TimeMachine doesn't work either.

FileMaker needs to put out an ALERT before anyone else gets screwed this way.

• 6. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                    mrevenaugh

And the other symptom of this debacle is that the Java Preferences Utility in Mac OS comes up lame too.

• 7. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                      TSGal

mrevenaugh:

There has been no update from Development and/or Testing.  When I have confirmation, a Knowledge Base Article will be written, as well as added to the Known Bug List thread.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                        raelb

I have now successfully downgraded Java and filemaker is working again. I went to /system/library/frameworks/javaVM.framework/resources and copied the files version.plist and info.plist out to the desktop and then deleted those originals. I then installed the Javafor Mac OS X upgrade1 and the filemaker programme now launches again and I can access my files. However while the admin console says IWP is running and working access is denied to the files. so not completely working yet.

• 9. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                          TSGal

mrevenaugh:

Our Testing department has been unable to replicate the problem on several machines.

Here is the latest information I received from them:

"The customer stated in the initial post "Logs mention TomCat not loaded."  Ask the customer for those catalina log files.  If tomcat isn't working, the customer should still be able to use Instant Web Publishing and XML.  True?  Are both the adminserver and Custom Web Publishing engine dead?  Can the customer start them from the command line?  What version of Snow Leopoard (Server/Client) is the customer running?  What is the Java preference order (32 vs. 64 bit)?  Although the steps to reproduce seem fairly straight forward, check to see if the customer left out any minor steps.  Thanks."

For the Tomcat catalina files, I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just beneath the blue horizontal bar) with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                            rudysf

This posting is the closest I've been able to find that relates to the problem I've been experiencing.  I used File Maker Pro Advanced 10 to develope a software program that I use on my MacBook.  It's an important program that I use to run my small business. Recently, I installed the latest Java update only to find that it dissables my software program on my MacBook.  I reinstalled Snow Leopard and my software began working again but when I reinstalled the Java update again in dissabled my software.  I went through this several times.

I then took the program and installed it on my iMac which has the latest Java Update and found that it works perfectly.  Both computers are up to date with the latest version of Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and all other updates.

I called Apple Support but they say this is a FileMaker Issue.  I spoke briefly with a FileMake Support agent but unless I was willing to pay the one time support fee he was not able to offer any insight and suggested that I contact Apple.  Go figure...  Apple claims that there are significant differences in the hardware between an iMac and a MacBook and perhaps that explains some of the problem but maintains that FileMaker needs to address this problem. I've never experienced a problem before with any kind of update and don't understand why it's only affecting one of my Mac computers and not both.

This has cost me a lot of time, effort and frustration because this software contains important information I need to service my clients. 

Anyone out there have any insight on this?

• 11. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                              rudysf

One more note.  Apple suggested that I remove my software and after I reinstall Snow Leopard, I install the latest Java Update the reinstall my software.  This did not work either.  I only ended up reinstalling Snow Leopard and have avoided installing the latest Java Update.

• 12. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                                mrevenaugh

And let's all remember that FileMaker (with 250 employees) is wholly owned subsidiary of Apple (with 34,000 employees). I know they have put manpower on this issue, but not enough or an inappropriate few. I believe there are too many system admins that get caught in this black hole of a time wasting situation.

There should be an official FileMaker document that at least make others aware that their hardware, may or may not, have this birth syndrome that can affect them too. And here are the steps to get your system back to operational with the least waste of time.

Can an engineer post a reply listing the effects of not having Java 2 Update installed on our servers? Maybe they are neglible?

Thank God the new FMServer 11 lets you easily backup script scheduling. At least that helps with the remove/reinstall process.

Java 2 Update/FileMaker Server

--------------------------------------------

Hardware/Software NoFail

~ iMac

Hardware/Software Fail

~ Mac Mini - 2008 edition

~ MacBook

Untested

~ XServer - I'm too scared. I don't have the time to dedicate to make things right again just to test it.

• 13. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                                  TSGal

mrevenaugh:

I still have not received your log files.  Can you send them again?  I have sent you another private message.  Check your Inbox (top of this page) for instructions.

rudysf:

I would also like your Tomcat/catalina log files.  Please check your Inbox (top of this page) for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Mac OS X - Java Update 2 - Kills Server 10 + 11 Web Publishing Engine
                                    mrevenaugh

@TSGal and @RUDysf

I think I lost the log files when I did the last OS re-install. I do have another server I'm installing/preping this weekend (7/10) and will save the log files to send off to you and your team.

Plan Overview:

• It's on a refurbished MacMini (it had a bad HD), that has not "technically" been in the field. 
                                    • I'll set it up initially with OSX 10.2 and FMS  10
                                    • Upgrade the OS to 10.6.2 with Java Update 2 collecting the logs and documenting the steps and any failures.
                                    • Upgrade to FMS 11 collecting the logs and documenting the steps and any failures.

Sorry about the delay. I'm sure you can sympathize with why I've been avoiding this process. It does take multiple hours to setup, fail and correct. I've avoided the Java 2 Update on 9 updates so far without any ill effects. 

MRevenaugh