3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 8:40 PM by mdover

Mail Merge Displays Wrong Data in Mail Merge message

mdover

Summary

Mail Merge Displays Wrong Data in Mail Merge message

Description of the issue

I've got a calculate field made up of the sum of various weighted fields, such that Policy Brief Draft Totals= ((Policy Brief Draft Goal*3)+(Policy Brief Draft Problem*3)+(Policy Brief Draft Past Policy*3)+(Policy Brief Draft Present*3)+(Policy Brief Draft Proposed*3)+Policy Brief Draft List+Policy Brief Draft Glossary+Policy Brief Draft Bib+(Policy Brief Draft Writing*2)).for six records, the Policy Brief Draft Writing score is .9, and in 5 of the 6 records, the mail merge email message sent out displays the sub-totals and total correctly.  But for one student, the record shows .9 and the total is properly calculated, but the email message sent and received shows 1 instead of .9 as the writing score.  I have re-sent the message several times with the same error.

• 1. Re: Mail Merge Displays Wrong Data in Mail Merge message
          TSGal

mdover:

Thank you for your post.

I have set up a database file with the fields, but trying to find values for each field has been difficult.  Do you have a sample file I can use?  Also, is this information being exported to a "Merge" file, or are you doing the merge within FileMaker Pro?

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the sample file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Mail Merge Displays Wrong Data in Mail Merge message
            mdover

I will comply by sending the file.  To answer your question, this is a mail merge email from within filemaker using my University of Michigan email via Outlook Express which is my default email client for my XP installation.   Also, today I discovered a second error, for the record Lorena Kanto.  The mail merge letter below says she got a 4 on her Identify POlicy issue assignment but the database says 5 and the total properly adds in the 5.  The previous student record was Linda Dlugo.  Her writing quality score was .9 but the mail merge letter says 1.0!  so if you look at those two records, perhaps you can figure this out.  I use Filemaker 9  for a nationa organization I'm treasurer of, so I'm a bit worried as this isn't just used for my teaching.  But you can imagine what with students being so consumer oriented these days that if thisis improperly reporting data, there is a problem somewhere!

Mike

• 3. Re: Mail Merge Displays Wrong Data in Mail Merge message
              mdover
                 NO BUG, just a buggy user! Sorry for the trouble.  In one case the data really was wrong in the record and in the other case I had the wrong field name!